By default an SAP ECC proxy framework can only connect to one integration server. However the need may arise to connect multiple integration servers, in our case for example as a flexible XI-PI migration strategy. This blog describes two options how to connect multiple integration servers.
The Integration Configuration IS_URL parameter and its subparameter can be used to route interfaces to different integration servers by using the system user at runtime, as explained in more detail in Sandro Garofano’s Connect SAP Application System to multiple SAP PI Integration Server – Variant n°1. One option to change the system user per interface on SAP ECC is to
- Configure a special user account (for example PIAPPLUSER)
- Create an RFC connection to its own destination with the created user account configured in the logon credentials
- Change the ABAP coding at the point of calling the proxy. Move the proxy call into a function module and call it by adding the RFC as the FM destination parameter.
These steps, in addition to the IS_URL integration engine configuration should do the trick.
Be aware this option needs to be stress tested carefully. From experiences gained during the project it showed that sometimes (less than 1 at 10.000 messages in our case) the mechanism failed. Tracing the messages showed SAP coding switched the system user back to the original one. We were able to reproduce the error but as it’s probably resource & timing related debugging to find the root cause is difficult.
The second and preferred option is to implement note 1334174 for a robust solution. It enables configuring interface details (sender, interface, namespace) in the “Configure Sender/Receiver ID” option in the Integration Engine Adminstration and Monitoring (trx: sxmb_admin) which can be configured later on as subparameter in the IS_URL in the Integration Engine Configuration.
A few things I’d like to share to keep in mind using this solution
- The SAP ECC own business systems needs to commit to the [SID]CLNT[client] naming convention otherwise it won’t work.
- In case of a phased XI-PI migration one should consider the moment to switch SLD from XI to PI (if applicable).
- The proxy design time can still only be connected to one integration server.