Skip to Content
Author's profile photo Former Member

Complex Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion project (CU&UC)

Hi friends, I would like to share a recent experience in complex CU&UC (Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion to ERP 6.0) project along with hardware migration. Customer had a blended codepage environment which is very complex & rare in the SAP Implementation across world. The English language was included in customized Chinese codepage, due to this there was no 1100 codepage entry in the system hence we faced several issues. We had to manually create the code page entry to move forward.

In the beginning we faced issues related to system downtime, as PARCON_UPG was taking almost 48 hours & EXPORT/IMPORT during Unicode conversion phase was taking 30 odd hours. We did the detail analysis of the issues & used ICNV (Incremental conversion) to reduce the timelines during PARCON_UPG phase; we were therefore able to reduce the timelines of PARCON_UPG phase from 48 hours to 48 min. Distribution monitor tool enabled us to reduce the overall timelines during EXPORT/IMPORT phase; we were able to start the phase in parallel as well distributed across the different application server available. We also did package splitting, DB tuning & used some advance tools to reduce the downtime.

Apart from the downtime we came across issues with Infrastructure, as Customer was unable to add more resources to the current hardware. We followed a very innovative approach to overcome the hardware issue, we used the Interim hardware to start the SAPup downtime activities (with the help of split mirror disk copy) & target system for the Unicode Import.

Assigned Tags

      Be the first to leave a comment
      You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.