In past 10 years I have interacted with many sap customers and each engagement has enlightened me with a new perspective of SAP Netweaver Implementation.
In this blog (series) I am illustrating a document management solution using Knowledge Management capability of SAP Netweaver portal. This solution will include
Repository Framework(Mapped to real time scenario) and configuration of repository manager.
Configuration of repository services.
Configuration of Approval workflow and notification through emails.
Configuration of predefined properties.
Configuration of Search UI.
Customization of layouts.
Migration of documents and tagging of documents with predefined properties.
Configuration KM reports.
The requirement has evolved over time as follows Document Management Solution will ensure creation and management of a document that has an approval procedure, which has a review period and the status of the document is known at any point of time.
The solution has to take into account departments and various sub departments’ accessibility as per there roles, automatic notifications of changed status of documents as well as followings:
- Creation of Document: Once there is a requirement from any of the Business Units for a new procedure or policy, the users will create a Document in the form of Procedure/Policy documents, form etc.
- Change of Document: An existing document will be required to be changed because of modifications and inputs from users with in the Business Units. At any point of time, it will be possible to trace the status of the document – say For example Under Review or In Approval. Finally the document gets released to the business.
- Display of Document: An existing document will be required to be displayed depending on the personnel who are authorized for a document. The authorization will be required for different activities like modifying, displaying or creating a document.
- Searching a Document: The document will be easily accessible for the personnel say for example. Who wants to know the specifications of a material? Different search parameters will be used to achieve the same.
- Distributing a Document: After the document is released, it will be distributed to the concerned recipients for whom the document is useful for future reference.
- Archiving of a Document: After a fixed period of n years as per the policy, the document will be archived from the system.
The starting point of this solution is to Map the functionality required with available features of KM .I have created a Matrix which clearly states what needs to be done:
|KM Features||Technical Feasibility|
|Departments and Sub departments wise access to documents||Creation of a repository structure Mapped to Organisation Departments and sub departments||Creating a repository Manager and using that Manager to create folders and subfolders.|
|Documents Availability||Uploading the documents to specific folders once the user created it using word or excel etc||Using KM uploads functionality using iviews or creating a custom layout where all folders structure will be visible and in menu KM Upload Command will be available.|
|Status of Documents and Archiving||Using KM services||Enabling KM services such as Lifetime,Versioning and enabling state management service as well approval etc|
|Approval of documents||Using AD Hoc Workflow of KM||Enabling KM Workflow|
Searching of documents the following documents will have to be managed in the system: a) Vision, mission and values b) Standards, Legal Documentationc) Policies, manuals, systems, handbooksd) Standard Procedures e) Work instructions / SOP (Standard Operating Procedures)f) Forms/ Records
|Using KM search||Using Trex and search configuration along with predefined properties and configuration|
|Automatic Notification about the status of the documents||KM Notification service||Using either KM Notification iview or UWL & Email integration|