The Full Monty – Part 18 – BObj Explorer 3.2 (Polestar) Installation & Configure
In this blog, I downloaded and installed the BObj Explorer 3.2, otherwise knows as Polestar. It was obtained as usual from the SAP Support Portal www.service.sap.com/support.
I had to upgrade my BObj Edge to SP2 which took about an hour, then the BObj Explorer took around 30 mins.
I navigated to the BObj Portfolio page, via Downloads->Installations and Upgrades, then see below
after downloading, i extracted to a location on my pc, and ran the “setup.exe”
I removed the “Create log file …” option
and was told that I needed to upgrade my BObj to SP2 before I can continue
I logged on to my BObj CMC to check what version I was on, and could see it was 12.1.0, which I took as Version 12, SP1 (original)
BObJ Edge SP2
so it was back to the SMP and a hunt for the BObj Edge SP2. This time via Downloads->Support Packages and Patches
eventually finding it here
Support Packages and Patches – Entry by Application Group->SAP BusinessObjects portfolio->SBOP EDGE BI, STANDARD PACKAGE (FOR SAP ERP)->SBOP EDGE BI->BOBJ EDGE BI 3.1
whilst here, i noticed 2 fix packs which I also downloaded, but they turned out to be unnecessary because they seem to be Integration Kit fixes for EBS, JDE, PeopleSoft and SIEBEL. So there is only really need to down load “EDGE31SRVR02_0-20006067.EXE”
here they are once downloaded
I ran “EDGE31SRVR02_0-20006067.EXE”
Then ran the “setup.exe”
I de-selected the “Create log file …”
and off the update began
the wizard started
I accepted the License Agreement
entered my password for the CMS administrator
then got the following error
due to the CMS not running, so I opened the CCM, and started the Service Intelligence Agent (SIA)
after starting the “setup.exe” again, I’ve continued from where I got the “Unable to log on to CMS” message.
so I got a”Re-Deploy Web App…” message which I kept the default
I left the defaults for the “Web App Server”
la dee dah dee dah
and off it began
I got this message saying a source file cannot be found, I clicked “Retry” and it continued
or at least I thought so, as it happens, you can see it is rolling back
more rolling back
eventually get this message
I found out that the occasional “source file not found” error occurs when trying to access source files from a virtual folder, i.e from my host to my VM, so I moved the installation files to the C Drive of the VM, and began the whole process again
the installation passed the point of previous error
and finally finished
I thought I would take another look at the version in CMC “About”, but oddly, it has not been updated. I know it is patched now, as the BObj Explorer went on later without any issues.
BObj Explorer Install
So now to the BObj Explorer. After extracting to a directory, on the VM, I ran the “setup.exe”
again, de-selecting the “Create log file…” option
off the wizard began
I accepted the License Agreement
no further languages
I left the defaulted full installation
I gave it all the required parameters for the CMS
kept the default “Node Name”
kept the default deployment option
kept the Web App Server defaults
off it went
I took look at the CCM and noticed a service has been removed. I believe it was the SP2 that removed the “Win HTTP Web Proxy Auto Discovery” service.
I startined the Tomcat and SIA services
There is no icon or otherwise to see if it had been installed. There are extra services under the SIA begining with “Polestar”
I opened my browser, and entered the BObj Explorer URL “http://pc:8080/polestar“.
I entered the adminstrator user and password
then selected the “Manage Spaces”
after a while, I got the following message. It was due to my BObj environment temporary license key running out
So, after I downloaded and installted the new license file from SMP, see “The Full Monty – Part 11”, I started BObj Explorer again, navigated to “Manage Spaces” and could see the delivered example Universes.
To test, I chose the eFashion Universe, and selected “New” Information Space
On the “Properties” Page I gave the “Space” a Name “Sales by Region” and description
On the “Objects” Page, I selected and added the “Year” Facet (Facets also known as dimensions)
I also selected and added the “State” Facet
I then chose to add the “Sales revenue” Measure (Measure also known as Key Figure Indicator (KPI) )
Before I could run my new Information Space, I needed to generate the Index. This is done on the “Manage Spaces” tab, using the far right button in the “Action” column, along side of my space
now the index is generated, as see by a “tick” in the “Status” column
I returned to my “Home” tab, and ran the “Refresh list” button
now my “Information Space” was available. I clicked the link “Sales by Region”
only to receive the following message.
I closed down the BObj Explorer and restarted the BObj Edge SIA from the CCM.
I restarted the BObj Explorer, logged on, and started my Information Space “Sales by Region”
Then I was presented with my information on an “Explore: Sales by Region” tab
So alls well and good
Continue to my next blog, The Full Monty – Part 19 – Analysis for Office Install