The Full Monty – Part 11 – BusinessObjects Edge BI 3.1 Install
Previous blog The Full Monty – Part 10 – The CE2 Un-Install
In this blog, I run the risk of duplicating SDN blogs surrounding the BusinessObjects Edge installation.
However, I installed the free trial “BusinessObjects Edge BI 3.1”, on my Virtual Machine. Note, this Edge Server edition comes with Client components so there is no need to run the Edge 3.1 Client Installer found in SAP Download Object #50138892.
My VM houses a basic NSP installation with the NSP delivered SAP GUI. The NSP is 7.0.1 patched up to SP6 and contains BI Content. All this is described in my previous blogs.
I must add that my efforts here were greatly aided by Ingo Hilgefort’s “Installation and Configuration” Blogs. It would be worth your time to take a look.
However, I did encounter some difficulty. For example, some of his screen shots are snapped prior to entering the data, whereas, you will find mine, after I have entered the data. Also his installation scenario will be slightly different to mine, insofar as, I am using the NSP BCUSER user for all operations.
Two last points, my installation is on the current offering, whereas, Ingo’s looks to be on a previous version, and he is not installing on Windows 7.
This blog has three stages:
- Downloading the BObj Edge Files
- Obtain License Key
- Edge Installation
Downloading the Bobj Edge Files
From here, Bobj Free Trials, click the “Free Trial” link, next to the Product. After filling out the online form and submitting, you can then begin to download the 5 files – “51036669_part1.exe” through to “51036669_part5.exe”. The “Getting Started Guide” & “Installation Guide” may be of use, but I did not need them.
I was presented with an option to download and install a download manager browser plug-in from Akamai Technologies, which I accepted and installed. After installation, it began to download the first file, and prompted me for a file location. It then gave me some error an error. So I would not recommend downloading this way.
Because of the error, I downloaded the files, by clicking the “click here”, at the “About the Download Manager” window, then using the “Save” button.
I further uninstalled the “Download Manager” browser plug-in.
Here are the files and sizes I was about to download
After all downloads, I double click the first file “51036669_part1.exe” to begin unpacking. You should end up with a directory called “51036669”.
Before installing the Edge software, I needed to obtain the License Key it would prompt me for.
Obtain License Key
A license key is required, and can be obtained by downloading an excel file, from the SAP Market Place, Main Page, tab “Keys & Requests”->”License Keys”.
Save the file, and unzip it, to reveal an excel spreadsheet contained, e.g. “Temporary Keys & Information 08-07-2010.xls”, with all the necessary keys, among other information. We will return to this file soon.
There is no need to have the NSP running.
I navigated to the location where I unpacked the files, directory “51036669”, and executed “Autorun.exe”, then I clicked the “Install” button.
I left the defaulted language, and unchecked the log creation
Next, screen I clicked “Next”
I accepted the License
I entered the appropriate product key – Edge standard 50-CAL (Concurrent Access License), from the downloaded excel file containing all the temporary keys
Edge Standard 50-CAL
No Extra languages, so “Next”
Important: I selected the “Advanced” installation option, and kept the proposed defaults
I gave the BusinessObjects Administrator user a password
I kept proposed values for “Node name” and “Port”
Added appropriate passwords
Important: I chose the second option to install the Tomcat application server
I kept the Tomcat default ports
Then “Next” to begin installation
On it’s way
Don’t think it ends, when the installation status bar reaches the end. It starts over, and over again.
Around 40 minutes later, I was prompted to allow the CMS service through the firewall, which I forgot to turn off.
I allowed the access, then turned off the firewall in Windows Control Panel. The installation continued.
Finally around an hour later
I selected “Finished” and the Administration Console Logon page was opened in my browser.
I logged on with the “administrator” user, and password I gave it earlier, and successfully logged on.
In Windows, a look at the BusinessObjects Edge Program Group reveals the Edge Programs installed, including the “Universe Builder”, and the “Central Management Console” (CMC), amongst others.
After a reboot, I checked all is well and good, without any boot up errors. I opened up the CCM (Central Management Console) to make sure the required Apache, and Server Intelligent Agent Services were up and running, which they were. There is not need to worry about the WinHTTP Service.
Next, I selected the “Server Intelligence Agent” item, and Press the “Manage Servers” button.
I logged on as normal, with my user Adminstrator and password.
and checked that all the Services had started without a problem.
I also took a look at my Windows Services to see what’s new.
- Apache Tomcat 5.5.20
- Server Intelligence Agent (PC)
- WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service
That’s my BusinessObjects Edge happily installed.
Continue to my next blog …