Master data for any organisation is very crucial for sustaining continuous growth. We all know that there are business events, for example- New products introduction, M & A, Outsourcing, which impact the Overall data quality of Master data. SAP MDM provides one solution for ALL master data for industry specific business processes and can be levergaed for continuously improving Master data quality. There are different scenarios supported by MDM-
1. Core MDM Scenarios– Consolidation, Harmonization and Central Master data Management.
2. Horizontal Scenarios-Customer data Integration, Product Info Management and Improved Business Intelligence.
3. Industry Scenarios– GDS, Collaborative MDM for tailored needs.
4. Embedded Scenarios like SRM/MDM catalog
For a client’s business needs(read Master data) the applicable MDM scenarios define the scope for MDM program which is delivered using their internal resources or using ISVs/ Implementation Partners. For any MDM implementation program one of the initial tasks is preparing the project charter and identifying/earmarking the different players who will be part of the MDM program which becomes crucial for the program success. Any MDM program should broadly have 3 layers to it –
- Vision/Strategic Planning
- Decision and monitoring the Program(Go, no-go?)
- Execution for the program.
The Hierarchy can be like- Joint Management Council(Strategic Planning)-> Service Delivery Management(Steering Committee for Decision and monitoring)->Project Manager(Execution of project)-> Project team(different tracks)-> Team leads and Developers.
Below we will see the roles and responsibilities for differnt stakeholders.
- Master data Council– They represent the Top management/executives who own the MDM program, its fitment with overall IT plan, defining the MDM roadmap etc.
- MDM Steering Committee– They consists of different Data stewards, specialists from different divisions of the business reposnsible for defining the processes and expectations. They also monitor the program execution more on the business needs front, not from the delivery side.
- Solution Architect– responsible for designing the overall solution landscape, technologies used for interfaces, design principles to bring the best practices etc.
- MDM program Manager– He/She is responsible for the MDM program from delivery point of view, managing the overall team which further consists of-
- Track leads for related technlogies- EP, XI, ECC, Data Migration
- MDM functional Consultants for different tracks/master data entities- Customer, Vendor, Product etc.
- Development team- MDM, EP, XI, ECC
- Basis and Governance team
The team structre and size can vary depending on complexities and the volume of business/masters, but the above hierarchy can be used as first template for any MDM implementation program.