Crystal Reports Year to Year Comparison Sample
welcome to another iteration of the Value Added Samples and Demos. this sample is a Year to Year Comparison Tool, created in crystal reports and utilizing webelements. this sample can be adapted to your enterprise environment and to your data.
features of the year to year comparison tool:
- the years can be changed by the end user using embedded select menus
- different summaries / measures (e.g. sales, quantity, profit) are shown in a report cross tab. the main chart measure can be changed by the end user using a select menu.
- the end date filter can be set by the end user…e.g. the report can be set to use year to date, month to date, etc.
- if you are using crystal reports 2008 the tool can contain saved data so that database traffic is minimized.
- there is online help that the end user can use to quickly find out how the tool works.
- chart formatting shows year to year decreases or increases.
you can download the year to year comparison tool here.
webElements are used to embed the select menus and options menus directly on the report. you can download webElements to add interactive controls to Crystal Reports Crystal Reports webElements. webElements are free.
this sample has instructions (on the design tab of the report itself) on setting the report to your own data environment. you can also install the sample to your own system without making any changes to see if the analytic can be useful for your business.
overview of the year to year comparison tool:
all years from the database are displayed as micro charts based on the current measure…in this case, “net revenue” is used.
the chart will display negative month to month changes with an unfilled red bar and increases are displayed with a filled green bar.
the data grid at the bottom of the report displays additional measures. these can be customized by the report developer via changes to a single formula on the report after mapping the report to their data source.
the end user can change the main / charted measure via a select menu.
the end user can also change the end date filter of the report using several methods. the calendar is used when the end user selects “use custom end date”.
if you have an idea for a demo / sample that you would like to see built using Business Objects products such as Crystal Reports, please see the Value Added Samples and Demos WIKI. if is approved as a good demo / sample for the community, we can build it for you for free!