This blog will explain about some of the points to remember while working on migration projects, now a day’s many SAP customers who have implemented other middleware’s were migrating in to SAP Middleware Process Integration.
When we start working with migration projects, client expects us to complete the implementation in less time compare to other normal implementation projects. (My experience),
Web Methods to SAP XI /PI:
We have to know some knowledge about Web Method middleware, so that we can easily understand the requirements, interface logic and complexity involved in interface development, so it saves lot of time.
Web Methods Integration Server:
Web Methods environment runs on using this server, this is one of the core application servers in the Web Methods platform. It is a java based, multiplatform enterprise integration server. It supports the integration of diverse services, such as mapping data between formats and communication between systems.
Web methods Developer:
Web Methods Developer is the Java-based integrated development environment (IDE) for developing code on the Web Methods Integration Server. This allows us to develop writing graphical flow and java services (the programming logic), defining and modifying documents and mapping logic testing, debugging and executing services and many more.
There are 3 types of mapping in Web Methods Graphical (Web methods Flows), XSLT and JAVA/C/C++ Services.
Flow Services in Web Methods:
Flow services are executable units that are written in the proprietary graphical-based Flow language of Web Methods, No other platform supports reuse of flow services, even PI not support it, so we have to implement this logic in SAP PI graphical mapping or JAVA or XSLT.
Web methods flow contain functions like Map, Invoke, Branch, Loop, Repeat, Exit and Sequence, every function has own property.
Java development in Web Methods is structured in services. A service is an executable piece of code with predefined import and export parametersis, the code in what is written in Java services is like a Java code, but it is not possible to reuse the same in PI environment.
Remember below points
1) 1)Try to get access for Web Methods interface Technical design documents, which explain about the interface requirements, so based on that we can understand the requirement need to implement in PI.Sometimes we never get a chance to speak with functional team to understand the functional requirements, this document definitely fill this gap.
2) 2) Prepare Mapping logic in EXCEL document by analyzing web methods flows (Graphical Mappings), XSLT mappings and JAVA /C/C++Services in Web Methods developer tool (IDE). For that you should have some understanding about XSLT, JAVA and C++.
3) 3) Don’t try to replicate the Web Methods design in SAP PI, it is not recommended at all. Think in PI perspective and prepare good design for interfaces. The way webethods server execute the interface is different compare to PI.
4) 4) In Web methods we can execute all mappings in one Flow service; we can call any java service, xslt mappings in Flow service. So when you found different mappings involved in web methods interface, divide it into different PI mappings (if it is complex) then execute it in PI.
5) 5) In Web Methods we can perform state full operations using JAVA services, like performing mass data base operations, but in PI point of view it is strictly not allowed in JAVA Mapping.
6) 6)Some of the clients expect reusing of XSLT mapping programs in PI, off course these mapping programs works perfectly without major changes in PI environment but performance point of view it is not a best practice to use XSLT mappings. If there is no restriction from client to reuse of XSLT mapping then replace XSLT mappings with Graphical mappings it will take some more time, share this information with client. (Consider this point while budgeting).
7) 7)Try to avoid using XML Tool Kit option in PI7.1 Operation Mapping for XSLT mappings, some of the XSLT mapping programs will not work in PI7.1, so you have to adjust those mappings.
8) 8) Re-using of Web methods JAVA/C/C++ services is not possible in PI, so you have to develop JAVA mappings or other mapping techniques in PI to implement the same logic.
9) 9) Adapter configurations and reaming things need to be done accordingly as per PI.
SAP BC to SAP XI/PI:
SAP Business Connector (also known as “SAP BC”) is a re-branded version/restricted licence version of webMethods Integration Server provided by SAP as a middleware solution for their R/3 product. It was developed jointly by web Methods and SAP.
Web Methods and SAP Business Connector more or less equal, so refer above points and one how to guide doc available on the same refer below link