BI Master Data Partitioning
Size of master data can be as large as 40 millions or even more. One of our Utility Client has ~ 6 millions of master data records. This master data has 90 attributes making the table size really huge. We faced issue while activating the master data. The load was failing every time while activation. We tried activating the data for master data in background as well however no use. Then partitioning of master data table (P Table in our case) helped and we could activate the data. The partitioning was done using DB6CONV Program by Basis.DB6CONV is not a ABAP Program and it needs to be done outside the application server
For more details in DB6CONV program, please refer SAP Note 362325 – DB6: Table conversion using DB6CONV
After few days we received request for adding 3 more attributes. The changes were done however while transporting to Quality it failed with below error. Here ZTDB is the infoobject having transport issue.
Since we had partition the P table for ZTDB infoobject the new attributes were trying to find a place holder in partition table for themselves however failed as it was not automatic.
Issue was finally handled by creating a new data class and then assigning this new data class to the infoobject. Remove the partitioning before assigning this data class.
To Create Data Class go to DB02 à Configuration à Data Classes. Click on Add Button available on the right side screen.
Give the technical name (say ZMDPT) and description to the new class. “Data Tablespace” will be FACTD prefixed by your system name. E.g. D#FACTD in below example. “Index Tablespace” will be automatically populated.
Assign Data class to infoobject (Extras à Maintain DB Parameters).
After assigning the data class partition the P table.
Now infoobject has its own data class which is linked to the tablespace provided while converting and which is further attached to partition nodes. And assignment of new attributes will automatically be taken care while transport.
We have been usnig this approach from last 6 monts and no issues so far , with multiple changes to the object in terms of adding attributes , turning navigational attributes etc. Will keep you posted if i find something.
Let me know your inputs/feedback as well.