As of SAP NetWeaver Enhancement Package 2 for Portal, a new method for customizing the traditional Portal (PRT) error pages was introduced:
The technique to customize the PRT error page is by developing a custom error page (represented by a Portal Component) and registering this error page to the Portal Runtime engine. As a result, the custom component will be displayed as the error page, instead of the PRT out-of-the-box error page.
Step-by-step guide to customize the error page:
1. Develop a customer error page component
- Create a new Portal Application Project called: prtCustomError (for example)
- Create a new Portal Application Object called com.sap.portal.demo.prtCustomErrorPage as an object in the prtCustomError project
- Write your own UI to be displayed to the end-users as the error page
2. Register your custom component to the Portal runtime environment
- Login to the Portal as a System Administrator
- Navigate to:System Administration -> System Configuration -> Service Configuration
- Under the Portal Runtime folder open the Service Configuration component and set the property portal.runtime.exception.errorcomponent to your custom error page: applicationName.componentName
3. Restart the server (don’t forget this step, otherwise your component will not get registered to the PRT)
Your new customized error page is ready!
You can download a (very trivial) sample error page which will be your starting point for developing your own custom error page. The errorComponent of this application is: CustomError.CustomErrorPage
For more details, please refer to the official documentation: help.sap.com -> SAP Enhancement Package 2 -> Configuring the Portal Runtime Properties (Enhanced)
Hope you will find this helpful!