Basis Tips for SAP Data Conversion
We recently completed data conversion for next release in our production environment. Already there are lots of good blog posted in SDN about data conversion. In this blog I would like to give few tips from basis side.
Running a data conversion in a production environment is a challenge for basis team. It becomes more crucial if you have release roll-outs where you need to manage existing load + data conversion on production server.
From basis side conversion life cycle at very high level has three stages:
Basis needs to keep close eyes on various systems during conversion run to analyze the following:
1. Number of background processes: How many background processes required
to complete the conversion during planed time frame.
2. Number of upgrade processes : How many UPD and UPD1 upgrade process is
3. Workflows : If any unwanted workflow can be switch off.
4. Lock table entries: Verify lock table setting is sufficient for conversion and
regular user load on system.
5. Physical Memory/CPU: Additional memory and CPU requirement.
6. Buffer/Memory setting: Extended memory and buffer settings.
7. Database tuning: if temporary index can improve the conversion performance.
Once above points are finalized basis needs to create optimal conversion schedule in production environment considering the following:
During month end we need to lock the users and transactions which will impact the conversion jobs, make sure conversion and month-end should not run in parallel.
Payroll is very important for any company, running of payroll job longer than expected schedule due to conversion will cause major problems.
Regular user load:
Increase in user response due to conversion load will cause unnecessary tickets on basis team. To avoid this create operation mode adjusting conversion process in night and day mode.
Go-live is dependent on conversion completion. Make sure conversion schedule should be meet in any situation.