Check and Apply SAP HotNews
At Australia Post we strive to proactively apply SAP maintenance in an attempt to dodge the ‘system down’ bullet. Back in my R/2 days, we would get a floppy disk from Max Planck Strasse labelled SAP HotNews. This was a collection of Priority 1 OSS notes which should be applied to your system in order to avoid ‘known problems’. The trouble with these deliveries was that they covered all modules, whether you were running them or not.
These days, the SAP HotNews still contain solutions for customer problems with very high priority, such as system failures or data loss – but now you can easily filter and display SAP HotNews for your chosen components. SAP recommends a proactive approach to SAP HotNews by customers to resolve potential bugs before they become an incident.
The maintenance management process view.
The old Way.
Most proactive Basis support folk will already be signed up to the SAP HotNewsletter e-mail. The same proactive Basis support folk will then proceed to ignore this e-mail when they get too busy.
To sign up for the e-mail:-
- Log onto the SAP Service Marketplace;
- Select My Profile;
- Select Maintain My Subscriptions and Notifications;
- Check the SAP HotNews tick box.
To manually search out the HotNews
- Log onto the Service marketplace;
- Take the Search for SAP Notes link;
- Then select the Help & Support link;
- Find the notes you want to apply, then add them to your download basket;
- Download and import into the target system.
For an alternative more efficient manual technique please see the following fine weblog from Kiran:-
The new way.
Solution Manager provides streamlined access to SAP HotNews from the Change Management work centre:-
- Take the Change Management work centre and press HotNews;
- Select your desired System or Solution for HotNotes checking;
- Further refine your search criteria (if required) by date or component;
- Display and review note contents (export to excel and distribute if desired).
Once you decide which notes are required:-
- Select and annotate the desired HotNews notes;
- Add the selected notes to a transport request (ensure you have a maintenance project assigned to the Solution first);
- Process the transport request.
Setting up the HotNews is a snap. It should take a junior Basis support person around 30 minutes per Solution to configure this feature.
Once configured, the SAP HotNews process will save you several hours per week looking for that elusive note. Who knows, if you are diligent with this feature, it may even prevent an outage, data loss or a failed enhancement pack installation.
The ALM difficulty rating.
Expertise required. Low.
Time taken to deploy. Low.
Payback time. Fast.
Overall rating. Just do it.