This blog is the continuation of the first blog written in this series. Please refer to the first part (Configuring Work Status Feature in BPC (Part 1)) for the underlying concepts of configuring work status in BPC. In this blog we will probing the practical aspects and usage of work status.
Setting the work status
The work status can be set in three different ways.
Using MS Office (Via BPC Web)
A. Go to the ePublish >> Modify work status from the Excel client
Note: This will redirect the page to the BPC Web
B. Select the data intersection for which you want to set the status.
Note: if you don’t have access to the intersection as owner or manager then you many get the below error. “You are not authorized to perform this task; contact your BPC administrator.”
C. Choose the appropriate status from the drop down.
Note: The available status will depend on the current work status and the owner attribute of the owner dimension.
Using BPF (via BPC Web)
You can create a step in the BPF to change the work status based on the below configuration. This task in the BPF will redirect the users to the BPC web for setting the status for the data intersection.
This will help the organization to standardize the data submission process via the BPF.
Typical example of a month-end forecast close scenario
- At month-end data is loaded and further adjusted by the authorized users. This authorization is driven by the member access profile (security) and has no dependency on the work status setting including the owner property
- Upon completion the responsible user (owner/manager) can set the work status to “submitted” via a BPF or from BPC web
- The data is locked to the owner and users of the entity, entity being the owner dimension (refer the configuration above)
- Although the data is locked; the user may submit supporting documents, journals or comment in this state, since the DOCS,JRN and COMM is open for all in the submitted status
- The manager or parent level owner, reviews the data, makes necessary changes and set the status to “approved”
- Once approved the data is locked for the manager, owner and users of the entity. All type of transactions including comments, journal and supporting documents are locked
- Users will get the following error if they try to send the data to the locked combination
“This cell cannot be updated; modify the submission status to allow changes::ACTUAL and SALESBRAZIL and 2005.JAN,ACTUAL and SALESBRAZIL and 2005.FEB”
Note: The combination of category, entity and time are the work status dimension in this case which is in the approved status and sending data for the all is locked.
Once approved the manager can only change the status as the approved status is controlled by manager.
You can configure sending mails upon the changes to the work status. You need to configure the following details for the same.
- APPROVALSTATUSMAIL-Defines whether owners and managers receive an email when one or the other changes a work status. Valid values YES/NO.
- APPROVALSTATUSMSG: Allows you to define a custom email message that is sent when a work status code is changed. The message is applicable to all applications in the application set. Valid values (Example): ”This is to inform you that %USER% has updated the work status for %EM%, %CM%, %TM% on %TIME%”.
- Set up SMTPserver,SMTPPort,SMTPAuth parameters to enable mailing.