How-to Handle Data in the SAP NetWeaver System Landscape Directory
The System Landscape Directory (SLD) of SAP NetWeaver is a central provider of information on software and systems. It is used by many client applications, such as SAP NetWeaver Process Integration, SAP Solution Manager, and the Adaptive Computing Controller.
This blog is meant to provide an overview with links to in-detail documents.
SLD data is needed in three areas of the landscape, for development systems, productive systems and systems managing systems. According to the different roles, different types of data are needed in each area. On the other hand, data should be gathered in one place to avoid inconsistencies. Therefore, data is retrieved once and then distributed.
Practically all steps in SLD data handling are descibed with screenshots in a document – the link you’ll find at the end of this document.
Data and Transport Mechanisms in the SLD
Types and Hierarchy of SLD Data
The type of data in a SLD are the following – each type is base on all other types show on lower levels:
Figure1: Types and Hierachy of SLD Data
- CIM-based SLD Data Model: The basis for interpretation of all data, provided and updated by SAP on the SAP Service Marketplace
- Software Catalog (all installable software, CR Content): The basis for interpretation of software state of technical systems, provided and updated by SAP on SMP and enriched by customers and partners of SAP
- Technical Systems (available systems in an IT landscape – host data and software state): The basis for business processes; Systems registered at the SLD
- Manually created data (Business Systems, Landscapes): Systems’ data used in system communication (SAP NetWeaver PI and Web Dynpro Java); System groups for administration.
Additionally, if you use the SAP NetWeaver usage type DI for Java based development, new products, software components, and reserved names are created manually in the SLD (these are not based on technical systems’ data).
SLD Data Gathering and Distribution
Here is an overview of the way this data are gathered and distributed:
Figure 2: SLD Data Gathering and Distribution Overview
Which of those that are needed by client applications of the SLD depends on the role and type of the each system defined by the landscape topology.
In an IT landscape very probably more than one SLD will exist:
Figure 3: SLD Topology – for explantion follow the link below
To match the different needs of each area, three transport mechanisms with different features are used:
- Manual export and import of data allows distributing all data and includes filtering.
- Automatic bridge forwarding keeps all vital data of all technical systems in the landscape up-to-date.
- SLD’s full automatic synchronization feature delivered with SAP NetWeaver AS Java 7.1 allows you to set up SLD instances so that they automatically keep their content identical.
For Details on SLD topology including the distribution of data see SLD Topology: How-To Gather and Distribute SLD-Data in Your IT-Landscape?
Steps in SLD Data Handling
In this document all SLD’s mechanisms of data gathering and distribution are discussed in detail and shown in screenshots in the context of SLD’s role in the landscape:
A Step-by-Step Description of Data Handling in the SAP NetWeaver System Landscape Directory.
For the complete and official documentation for your release see SLD documentation in the SAP Help Portal.
Thank you ! This is a really informative blog.
I have a question - do you know if SAP has provided any webservice out of the box in the SLD that i could use to get the details of a business system?
My situation is such that, from a java based client system, i need to get the connection details of my SAP backend. This information is available in the SLD and i want to be able to get the information from there.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks & Regards,
Renjith John Andrews
no, there are no web services for that purpose in the SLD.
I was hoping i could avoid the java api calls (if SAP had provided a standard service) , but it seems like that is the choice i have to go with !!