There was a business requirement in our xRPM 4.5 SP6 implementation to send emails out on Gate approvals. The expectation was to provide xRPM item link in the email text so that user can click on the link and navigate directly to xRPM item.
There was no standard functionality available in xRPM to achieve this. SAP customer support confirmed that.
xRPM 4.5 item dashboard is built on ABAP WebDynpro technology while item overview is a Java WebDynpro application. We investigated how the control moves from item dashboard to item overview. We found that this functionality is based on Portal Eventing. When a user clicks on one particular item in item dashboard, a portal even is fired. That portal event is subscribed by Java application to start Java WebDynpro application. We leveraged on SAP standard functionality to build our own functionality. The solution involved the following. A new custom ABAP WebDynpro component was created with URL parameter in the application to accept Item GUID
- ABAP WebDynpro component reads the item attributes, prepares the event parameters and fire the portal event SetContextEvent (available in portal event namespace ‘urn:com.sap.pct.cprxrpm.wdrSetContextEventFire).
- The event is fired at WDDOMODIFYVIEW event of the view ‘Main’.
- This ABAP WebDynpro in isolation does not redirect to Item Overview screen of the xRPM item. The steps below are also needed. This application has to issue the portal event in portal environment so that it can be listened by Java WebDynpro application.
- On xRPM portal, we created a portal page.
- This portal page contains the i-view (type WebDynpro). This I-View renders the ABAP WebDynpro , we created above.
- The Portal Page was configured to accept the parameter for item overview and pass it on to I-View to WebDynpro.
- Now the portal page URL can be sent ( with Item GUID) as parameter can be sent via email and it will redirect user to item overview page of xRPM item.
- Navigation Panel need to be added under dynamic navigation of the page.
Please note the following.1. The format of the event parameter is as following.
LinkId for item overview| item guid | item name | item external id | ‘1’ | ‘False’
Link Id for the item overview can be found from IMG-> SAP xRPM->Global Customizing->Process and Service setting->Define Navigation. Please data type for Link Id is N ( 4 digits).
2. Portal event via ABAP WebDynpro is fired using the interface IF_WD_PORTAL_INTEGRATION method FIRE.
Added by author :-
There have been several comments where people tried the approach given in blog. They were able to fire the Portal even but even was not caught. I am uploading the snapshots of Portal configuration depicting what needs to be done at portal side.
- Create ABAP webdynpro iView, add iView to Page. Add page to Portfolio Management role.
” mce_src=”” alt=”Portal Configuration -1″ border=”” hspace=”” vspace=”” width=”” height=”” align=”” />