SAP BPM: Enhancing enterprise operational efficiency and sustainable development capability – Part 2
Original article was post as Chinese: http://scnblogs.techweb.com.cn/opparts/archives/66.html
Part 1:SAP BPM: Enhancing enterprise operational efficiency and sustainable development capability – Part 1
Part 2:SAP BPM: Enhancing enterprise operational efficiency and sustainable development capability – Part 2
Part 3:SAP BPM: Enhancing enterprise operational efficiency and sustainable development capability – Part 3
Part 4:SAP BPM: Enhancing enterprise operational efficiency and sustainable development capability – Part 4
Local Customer V.S SAP BPM Big Cake
This customer is a first customer who is implemented SAP Corebanking Solution, SAP Composite Environments – BPM/BRM, Enterprise Portal, FI/CO and Material Management, and Business Workflow at the same time. We could not find any local customer implemented so many SAP products currently.
This bank customer is a local non-state-own listed company, more than 500 subsidiaries and 6000+ SAP user, more than 100+ external third-party systems, total assets more than 160 billion US dollar. I am responsible for implementation of business workflow and Portal/UWL overall, actually that is a big challenge, and also is an opportunity for me meanwhile.
Before this customer decides to choose SAP BPM platform as their core business process platform, this customer also had hired a professional third-part company to comparing several platforms of different software vendors, customer was attracted by integration with Corebanking solution seamless, flexibility and stable, and extendibility of SAP BPM platform and SAP BPM won it finally.
Everyone has different understanding for BPM this word, but i think BPM mainly including the following two categories:
- BPM as a management methodology, and optimizing company business process, maximizing operation efficiency.
- BPM as a specific technology or platform, and provides modeling, deploy, and run-time monitor and business re-forming, and integration with many external application systems.
Maximizing Returns of Customer Investment
SAP BPM platform already covered many useful technologies, even if some technologies are not included within SAP BPM scope definitely, but these technologies also can be a very important part in SAP BPM implementation project. One tree doesn’t make a forest, for SAP BPM as well; the following technologies are 3-pillars for solving customer requirement within an implementation of SAP BPM solution:
- ccBPM(A part of PI production), it was mainly used to implementing integration of business processes between SAP and Non-SAP system, this function based on a Process Integration(XI) platform and most interface are Web-Service type almost, but this ccBPM and Process Composer(which will be introduced lately) are different things.Customer purchased PI to integrating IS-Banking with external JAVA Based application, ccBPM we can use it, by the way.
- SAP Business Workflow is a mature platform and also embedded in any SAP ERP/Industry Solution Software like R/3, SCM, SRM, CRM, and IS-Banking, IS-Utility and so on, and integration with core functionality seamlessly, it makes more transparent via integration with HR organization structure for administrator and participant of a business process, customer just needs to use it without any additional pay.
You can use ABAP or BSP to develop a presentation layer of business workflow, SAP Business Workflow provided many types Visualization technologies for UI development, you also can use WebDynpro for ABAP/JAVA to do it if you do not like the GUI for HTML style in portal(ITS will “translate” it).
- Using UWL (Universal Worklist, a part of Enterprise Portal), UWL provides a central view for end-user to handle all approval tasks; it can extract all workflow tasks from multiple back-end SAP systems.
Customer purchased Enterprise Portal as an internal management and operation platform, because of UWL is already there, why we could not use it?
SAP BPM just only includes these three-tools?
Definitely, No! Because of these three productions are related with designer, participant and administrator of a business process directly, there are still several productions are belonged to scope of SAP BPM big cake, i will introduce these technologies in my next blog.