Introduction of Siebel iWay Adapter – PART1
I would like to present a series of weblogs on iWay Siebel adapter. Recently I got an opportunity to work on integrating Siebel system with SAP system using XI/PI. We used iWay Siebel Adapters for connecting the Siebel system.
Part1: In this weblog I would explain the importance of Siebel iWay adapter,use of iWay explorer and also about Siebel workflow process.
Part2: Present the different protocols in Siebel adapter and its advantages and Siebel Outbound Scenario with example of business case.
Part3: Present the Siebel Inbound scenario with example of business case.
Introducing the iWay Adapter for Siebel:
Adapter is a communication object which can connect to any application from or to XI/PI system and exchanges the data .We have SAP provided adapters in the system which would would be available along with installation like File,JDBC,JMS,IDOC adapters etc.
Sometimes we need to connect different systems with SAP which cannot be supported using the SAP provided adapters as mentioned above. So the company iWay has come up with set of third party adapters which are called iWay Adapters to meet any kind of requirements. Following are some of the iWay adapters Siebel, PeopleSoft, Sieburger, JDEdwards etc..
We have to separately buy this iWay adapter as per the integration requirement and should install it in the landscape. Once we install the iWay adapter, we can see the installed adapter in normal adapter list in the Integration Directory.
Siebel adapter is one of the iWay Adapter which can be used for connecting the Siebel system to exchange business data between Siebel systems and SAP XI/PI. We can also connect to other third party applications directly using this Adapter.
Architecture of iWay siebel adapter:
There are three different data objects in Siebel system which are Integration objects, Business objects and business components.
The iWay Adapter for Siebel supports the following integration access methods:
- Siebel Java Data Bean for services involving Siebel Business Components or Siebel Business Services.
- Siebel COM Data Interface for services involving Siebel Business Components or Siebel Business Services.
- Siebel XML transports (protocols) for services involving Siebel Integration Objects. We create the XSD’s from these Integration objects.
Importance of iWay explorer:
We can access the explorer as shown in above Fig. once iWay adapter installed in the landscape. This explorer can be used for accessing the Integration objects, business objects and business components and also used to create the XSD’s from these objects. These XSD’s can be directly imported under “external definitions” in Integration Repository objects.
You can access the explorer using the below link.
We can also create the channels and check the status in iWay explorer separately.
Example of Siebel Object in iWay explorer:
Siebel workflow :
We have to create Siebel workflow in Siebel system which is a series of events to be triggered in Siebel system. We have to create this workflow in both Inbound and Outbound interfaces.
This workflow triggers when any new operation performed in siebel application and converts the Siebel data into XML message and sends to SAP PI/XI as explained below.
1. Calls the Siebel EAI Adapter, which queries for the newly updated account record, and places the data in its original internal structure.
2. Calls the Siebel XML Converter, which converts the data into an XML message.
3. Calls the Siebel transport protocol (ex: MQSeries Transport), which places the newly created XML message into the applicable MQ Series message queue.
After the message is placed in the message queue, it is retrieved by an iWay Adapter for Siebel and sends the message to XI/PI system for further processing.
Siebel Inbound :
In this example, upon receipt of the XML message in the message queue from XI/PI, the applicable transport protocol (EX: Siebel MQSeries Receiver server task) initiates a Siebel Workflow process, which in turn executes a series of following steps:
1. Calls the Siebel XML Converter, which converts the XML message into Siebel internal format.
2. Calls the Siebel EAI Siebel Adapter, which applies the newly updated account record based on the methods defined in its service .
Ex: update the account data in Siebel application which is received from XI/PI.