“Climate change is one of the epic challenges facing this and future generations. World leaders will come together for the Copenhagen climate change conference in December and every citizen of the world has a stake in the outcome. It is time to seal a deal. We need a global movement that mobilizes real change,” recently said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. Hopenhagen is about more than hope. “It is about global action for a global climate treaty and a better future for humankind,”
Leaders from more than 180 nations will meet in December in Copenhagen to ratify a new international global climate treaty, which will take effect when the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol expires in 2012. Recognizing the tremendous role that communications will play leading up to and during the conference, the UN engaged the global advertising and media industry through the IAA to develop a comprehensive communications program to drive public awareness and generate action. Hopenhagen will complement the UN’s “Seal the Deal!” campaign. SAP supports the campaign as a main sponsor, in keeping with our promises expressed in the recent signing of the Copenhagen Communiqué.
The Hopenhagen movement will use online and social media tools to empower citizens to make their voices heard in support of the December UN Climate Change Conference.
– The Web site, www.hopenhagen.org, calls on visitors to become citizens of Copenhagen, by signing the United Nation’s “Climate Change” petition, and to share their messages of hope.
– A version of hopenhagen.org is available for download on mobile devices, which will enable citizens in developing countries that lack regular access to computers to sign the petition and engage in the movement.
– Citizens are also encouraged to join the Hopenhagen Facebook fan page and follow Hopenhagen on Twitter to share their thoughts about the campaign and the climate change debate.
– Interactive Web buttons and banners are available for people, organizations or companies to download and add to their own Web sites to demonstrate support for steps that curb climate change.
– Visitors to Hopenhagen.org can review the most recent climate change news and learn about the importance of the December UN Climate Change Conference.
SAP will mobilize its resources supporting this event. Stay tuned!