In November 2008, SAP released its 2007/2008 Sustainability report and details its activities in support of its ongoing strategic commitment to deliver superior sustainability solutions to customers and improve its own sustainability performance.
We – the Introducing the Global SAP Co-Innovation Lab Network – have therefore defined sustainability as one of our focus areas for our project portfolio. The COIL Network is thus proud to be an active participant in this area and especially to be an active member of SAP’s Global R&D organization mentioned within the report – highlighting the two Locations Palo Alto and Tokyo (the network further consists of Walldorf and Bangalore).
COIL is now strengthening the sustainability theme with two major pillars:
- The first one being the application of sustainable concepts to our very own data center, through the application of Green IT and Virtualization technologies wherever applicable.
- Second, by means of engaging in sustainable projects with our partners that either make use of virtualization/ green IT technology or through business process optimization to reduce the overall amount of time, effort, and resources required for processes.
All the project results of the sustainability area are centrally displayed within Co-Innovation Lab’s Contribution to Sustainability pages. Some selected highlights (to be further introduced in upcoming blogs):
- A joint project with Intel resulted in a total energy reduction of 50% on SAP’s latest ERP 6.0 Software leveraging Intel’s Quad-Core Xeon Processors.
- An initiative with NEC and F5 Networks led to a 62% reduction in power consumption, along with far less CO2emissions leveraging a ‘power-saving platform’.
- A joint project with VMware resulted in leaner and less error prone SAP upgrades leveraging VMware’s virtualization technology
Further information on COIL itself can be found on http://coil.sap.com.