In this short blog I would give you 10 tips and tricks that could make your SAP life easier and, even more, generate a money saving.
- Good programmers write good code, but great programmers reuse the good programmers’ code! Do not create something that is already done, try to find a standard function already created by SAP or try to understand what the standard does in order to optimize your development.
- Perform always the extended check (SLIN), it makes your development conform to SAP standards line guides and simplify code adjustments (e.g. after a system upgrade).
- Try to follow a well defined naming convention, this SDN blog could be a good start example Nomen est Omen – ABAP Naming Conventions.
- Monitor your reports with standard tools in order to optimize your code and find bottle necks (e.g. ST05 and SE30).
- Have a problem in a standard report, check SAP OSS your issue probably is already solved by SAP.
- Avoid standard modification take a look to the new Enhancement Framework.
- Even if you are or not an expert take part to the SCN community: forum, blog and wiki; you will learn something new.
- SAP is not only ABAP, there are a lot of technologies related: Web Dynpro, Java, RIA and so on, find the right one for your project. All of them have its pros and cons.
- Consider web services and ABAP proxy as system integrator, base your developments onto these powerful technologies, instead of out of date flat files and other stuffs.
- Finally share your knowledge on SCN, all of us are ready to learn.
What about your experiences?
I want to thank Andrea Olivieri for his support.