When talking with customers, one of the primary annoyances they have with the SAP Netweaver suite is the lack of adherence to some basic web standards. These standards have been around since the early days of the web and users are truly accustomed to them.
Whenever I am involved with a Netweaver rollout, I make an effort to customize the environment to meet the expectations of the general users. These users are not truly power users but the use SAP enough to understand its … quirks?
One of the big annoyances that users have is the unique default web address that the portal utilizes. Typically that URL is something like this:
For the Netweaver team this makes perfect sense.
- The tsd-prd is the machine name
- The company.internal.adr is the domain name
- The 51000 port represents that it has a system number of 01
- The irj/portal is just something that you have to deal with
Fortunately, there are ways around most of these issues. Today I would like to describe to you how to fix the last issue ( irj/portal ).
- Log into the Visual Admin
- Enter an administrator user and password
- After logging on, select the Services branch under the Server node
- Select the HTTP Provider Service
- The pane on the right-side of the Visual Admin will update. In the Properties box and under Location enter /irj in the Start Page field
- Press the Save Properties button and restart the J2EE server
After you make these changes, users will only need to enter http://tds-prd.company.internal.adr:50000/ to reach the portal.