This blog will introduce a new technology i.e. URLS (Unified Rendering Light Speed) which will be used in future to render all the WD-ABAP applications as compared with the traditional rendering available in SAP Net weaver 7.0. URLS is available in SAP Net weaver 7.0 EHP 1 and above.
Myself being a developer for WD-ABAP applications since long in both the traditional rendering platform and the URLS platform I feel that URLS has a great future going ahead. In today’s business world where more and more emphasis is laid on each process / application being web based, giving the best user experience, use of latest technology, easy integration with other technologies etc..URLS lives upto the expectations for each one of those and with honor
Here, I will be sharing two key points with you which can be summarized as follows:
– Differences between URLS rendering and traditional rendering.
– How to make WD4A application URLS specific.
Differences between URLS rendering and traditional rendering.
There are many reasons to move from the traditional rendering to the URLS rendering which are mentioned as below:
- With a faster response time and fewer round trips the overall performance of the application is increased manifolds.
- With the inline CSS available in URLS there is less administration effort for the browser, and hence only the style sheets that are actually required are sent to the browser resulting in good overall performance and better user interface.
- Embedding Adobe Flash Island applications in WD-ABAP.
- New Web Dynpro UI elements such as Drag&Drop, AcfUpDownload, Threshold Slider etc which take the traditional WD-ABAP user interface to the next level. Check this series of blog for further sample implementations on Drag&Drop and AcfUpDownload.
- New properties, events, and aggregations are available for UI elements such as Hotkeys and ActivateAccessKeys. In traditional WD-ABAP applications there is a limitation of attaching a hotkey to specific UI element. This is no longer relevant in WD-ABAP applications using the URLS rendering technology. Follow this blog series for further information on this.
- Use of Web2.0 technology (AJAX) is made available.
How to make WD4A application URLS specific.
The following parameters are available for activating the new URLS rendering in the WD-ABAP application.
- Application parameter: WDLIGHTSPEED
- URL parameter: SAP-WD-LIGHTSPEED
By default, these parameters have the value X in SAP Net weaver 7.0 EHP 1 and above.