In November 2008, I blogged on SCN about The Road ahead for SAP consultants (Road ahead for SAP consultants). This blog was pretty well received by the community and a lot of discussion ensued in terms of comments, emails etc. Jon Reed, fellow SAP Mentor, needs no introduction here. His site jonerp.com has been a go to place for all consultants, and his blogs and podcasts have had tremendous following. Jon and I share a deep interest in several aspects of SAP ecosystem like skills, BPX, community spirit and so on. So we decided to do this podcast together.
You can find the podcast at http://www.jonerp.com/content/view/246/33/ . We will try to get it uploaded to SCN too.
Here are the highlights
1. SAP market is transitioning more and more into a global delivery mode – with distributed teams. Apart from the obvious cost benefit, this also brings in local expertise where needed. Technology has now improved so much that even parts of blueprinting can now be done from remote sites.
2. Certain skills in SAP like Basis, ABAP etc are getting commoditized in the market. What can be done about it?
3. Will SAP market return to its old state or has it changed permanently?
4. What is changing for functional consultants? what skills do they need to survive and prosper in these times?
5. The all important BPX concept – is this a futuristic idea? How can we make it work today? what are the roadblocks?
6. Why is BI an important aspect of BPX?
DISCLAIMER : The views expressed in this podcast by me are strictly my personal opinions and should not be interpreted in any way as those of my employer,IBM.
Jon and I are looking forward to your comments. You can find me and Jon on twitter as @vijayasankarv and @jonerp respectively.