2008 has been a year with a lot of changes for us at Business Objects. Being part of a large organization like SAP is quite different, but opens so many new opportunities, and joinig the SDN community was definitely one of them.
From the product front we executed on our roadmap and had great releases across the whole information management suite. The main release was definitely Data Services XI 3.0 where we combined the market-leading products Data Integrator and Data Quality into one single platform. Both products continue to exist as separate orderable products, but the fact that they use the same underlying Data Services architecture and share the same design and execution environment was really a breakthrough in the information management market. Also Metadata Management XI 3.0 was a major release in the second half of 2008, by integrating into the Business Objects Enterprise platform, lineage information (“Where did this number come from ?”) is now at the fingertips of all report consumers. And also the smaller brothers in our Information Management family like Data Federator and Text Analysis delivered great new functionality in 2008.
The Information Management and Data Services community went through several transitions this year. And we ‘re glad now to have found our own spot now in the Business Objects community (BOC) as part of SDN. And oh man, it looks so much better than our old “home” on the Business Objects Diamond website ! But without content, the community would be rather empty… so let’s have a look at the content that was added to the Information Management community this year. You’ll find an overview of the top content for the Information Management pages, as well as for the other Business Objects product portals here.
- First of all, there’s the ever growing Data Integrator wiki from Werner that collects tips and tricks for using Data Integrator and Data Services as well as the sister-wiki on star schema design and DWH design. We’re well over 200 pages now, with useful information for both the novice and expert uses of Data Services.
- For the Data Quality customers, the SAP Data Services Blueprints offers download of samples for all common Data Quality use cases for various countries and industries. These samples are excellent starting points for your Data Quality projects and include sample data and pre-configures Data Services jobs and data flows. Please come back regularly as we’ll be adding much more content when me move into 2009.
- Some great webinars were added to learn more about “new” technologies like Text Analysis & Data Federator
- Several tools and utilities were made available for download, like a universe on top of Metadata Management and a metadata integrator for Data Federator, both for Metadata Manager 11.7 (these utilities are included with XI 3.0 out-of-the-box), as well as free-of-charge Data Direct drivers to connect to MS SQL Server datasources from Data Integrator installed in UNIX environments.
- For SAP customer How-To documents were added to explain how Data Services can be used in combination with their SAP Applications. One How-to Guide on NetWeaver MDM explains the process to integrate the ETL capabilities of Data Services with NetWeaver MDM, and two other How-To guides explain how we can integrate with NetWeaver BI and how we can improve the quality of the data loaded into NetWeaver BI.
And finally a lot of contributions were made by the larger Information Management community in the Data Services and Data Quality. A big “Thank You !” for all these valuable contributions, from SAP employees, customers and partners who are trying to help out other community members. Your contributions are all very much appreciated !