This industry is quite different from any other industries like automotive, pharmaceutical or engineering.
Broiler chicks (birds) will be grown right from day old chicks to the age of seven /eight weeks .By this time birds are ready for slaughter house with sufficient weight.
Right from the initial stage (day old chick) they will be managed in the base unit of measure “pieces “while creating SAP material master data.
These birds after growing seven /eight weeks will be sent to slaughter house.
They will be moved to slaughter house depending up on the demand like 100 or 200 units at a time.
From this point onwards birds are required to be maintained both in Pieces (Unit of Measurement) and weight in Kilograms.
Birds at their initial growing stage are managed in Pieces (Units of Measurement).
By the nature of birds, each bird may weigh differently. At the time of movement of birds from the farm to slaughter house, they should be managed in both weight and pieces. Each time depending on the demand, certain number of birds will be moved form farm to slaughter house. This each set will weigh differently.
Since the weight of birds may differ from one batch to another even though the number of birds is same, the requirement is to identify this uniquely.
Now the first batch of 100 birds sent to slaughter house may weigh 100 Kilograms but the second batch of 100 birds may weigh either 150 Kilograms or 90 Kilograms itself.
It is not feasible to use the normal alternate unit of measure and conversion.
This scenario requires dynamic conversion factor for each batch that can constitute a set of say100 birds.
It is the best case to use SAP’s batch specific unit of measurement.
- Till the point of grown up bird ,it is to be maintained as one material code with the following settings:
Ø batch management will be activated.
Ø Base unit of measure is PC.
Ø the stock will be managed in PCs.
- With the normal production order the birds will be confirmed and received to stock as PCs.
- To have Slaughter house mapping it is required to be maintained as separate material code with the following settings.
Ø batch management activated
Ø Classification view with class type 023 batch class
Ø Batch specific unit of measure settings.
- A BOM will be maintained with header as this new material with batch specific unit and component will be the out put of the last Production order above ( material w/o batch specific unit)
- A dummy routing will be created for new material with no activity except the input of the material (grown up bird) and out put will be material (bird) with batch specific unit.
- A dummy production order will be created for the new material.
- This production order will be executed normally and goods will be received in the units of PCs and corresponding Kilograms also ( with dynamic conversion)
- At the time of GR for production order, system prompts the user to input the characteristic value for conversion .Then user has to enter the value as proportion = No. of birds / total weight of birds.
- Then the system will store this dynamic conversion factor and stores the stock in both Pieces and Kilograms.
- Now the stock of birds will be available in both PCs and corresponding Kilograms also.
- Now the traceability of the original flock with the individual sets (batches of 100 birds) is possible with Batch where used list TCODE MB56.
- Now these birds with base unit as PCs and conversion of Kilograms will be available for production in slaughter house. This bird will be input to the Slaughter house production order and the out puts will be chicken legs, breast, lever and other parts.
- This production order requires with co products.
- Activation of batch specific unit TCODE :OMWS
- Creation of new unit of measure ( batch specific unit ) TCODE:CUNI
Create new unit of measure which is nothing but Batch specific unit KGB. (As shown in the last line of the below picture)
- Edit batch specific unit ( referring the batch specific unit with std unit )
- Define calculation base qty from Product qty :
Here it will be specified for which base unit this batch specific unit will be converted
5. Classification in foreground for new batches for respective goods movements TCODE: OMCV
- Creating characteristic TCODE :CT04
Here the characteristic will be created with unit of measure as batch specific unit.
2. Create class with class type 023 TCODE CL02
3. Assign the characteristic to class
While assigning the characteristic to class, organizational area “S” (substance /steel) to be assigned
4. Create the material master with classification view & batch management activated.
- Assign the above class to material
- Under Additional data, Proportion/ Product Un view, you:
You have to input “KGB” unit of measure filed.
a) Enter the type of batch-specific units of measure used in the Use Un field
b) Enter the planned value of the conversion factor for the characteristic in the
in planned value field
c) Enter the batch-specific unit of measure that is used in the conversion factor
in the Un field
- d) set the L Un indicator (leading batch-specific unit of measure )
If you double click on the field “Plan value” a popup will come like this