This year I attended my first ever SAP Community day on 11th November 2008. For general information SAP Community day is an informal get together of members who network with each other through SAP Community Network. Idea of day is to put face to the name i.e. know the person by face and not just by name or email id. This year community day in India had 123 attendees. The entire room was full and organizers had to put some more chairs to accommodate the attendees.
Quick networking was interesting. I was amazed and thrilled to see how participants divided themselves into smaller group and stated discussing various topics among themselves after a brief introduction of themselves. My dream came true when I had my chance to meet and interact with Thomas Jung, SAP Mentor and SAP Product Manager for Netweaver. Over past one year I have interacted with Thomas via SDN and sought his help and guidance on Web Dynpro for ABAP on numerous occasions. I thanked him for the support. I interacted with him about 30 minutes over the future direction for WEB Dynpro for ABAP.
For afternoon session we had choices either to attend the BPX sessions or Mentors Hands on Session by Thomas Jung on Web Dynpro for ABAP. No prizes for guessing the session attended by me. The session was really interesting where we not only got the chance to try our hands with some of the new concepts of Web Dynpro for ABAP but also lay our hands on SAP Netweaver Enhancement Pack 1.0 and the changes in the offering via EHP 1.
Take away from Day
- SAP Webdynpro for ABAP is the way forward as far as UI framework for SAP Business suite (ERP, PLM, and SRM etc) is concerned.
- Minimal enhancements to screens based on classical Dynpro.
- Enhancements to WEBDYNPRO for ABAP in EHP 1 offers significant improvements to existing framework specifically on rendering where in SAP built AJAX framework is embedded in.
- Not possible to edit themes using standalone theme editors from EHP 1 onwards.
- Possible to develop ADOBE Flex applications and embed the same with Webdynpro for ABAP using flash islands.
- Some of the features are being back ported from SAP NW release 7.20 to NW EHP 2. The features being back ported are really impressive. New features will help to increase developer productivity and make overall development process much easier.
- NW EHP 2 scheduled to enter ramp up in Q2 of 2009 and to be released for general public in Q3 of 2009.
- In future a tool like Visual composer may be available for rapid prototyping of applications based on webdynpro for ABAP.
- Business Rules (BRF Plus) framework is available as part of NW EHP1.
- SAP ABAP, specifically WEBDYNPRO ABAP is way forward for SAP business suite.
At 6:00 PM we all headed to Fortune Trinity for dinner. Organizers had organized for the DJ and dance floor but unfortunately no one was ready to miss the opportunity to talk to SAP mentors and other community members. We missed Craig as he went straight to KPO trade centre to oversee the preparation for SAP Teched, specifically DEMO Jam!! The food was great. I called it quit at 8:30 as I had a long travel almost 1:30 hours to guest house.
I really enjoyed my day and look forward to next year community day. This year I made it to community day via lotto system but for next year I will earn my right to be there by earning more then 250 points.