ESS and MSS is part of HCM implementation that provides managers and employees facility to access company specific data. Managers can access the data of their subordinates and also can execute self services on behalf of the employees(Suboridinates).
This articale discusses what is the best approach to implement ESS and MSS with an HCM implementation in place.
Prerequisites should be captured before you start business blue print phase for ESS MSS starts.
- Enterprise Portal Availability
- Decision on version of business package according to ECC version and EP Support Packages
- Portal UME strategy
- Decision on usage of technology for custom developments
1. Identifying the need
During the business process blue printing phase of HCM it is important that all the ESS and MSS scenario should be listed with a detail requirements. It is important that a list of service has to be the outcome as an input to realization phase from business blue printing.
The HCM consultant should go through the list of services and their functionalities in detail before deciding the need of development of service in ESS. ESS role release 1.31 provides country specific roles for ESS.
MSS package also provides out of box services for teams, budgeting, projects and planning. There are various reports which are part of the standard MSS business package.
It is very important that the consultant participating in the business blueprinting of ESS and MSS is aware of the out of box services provided by SAP as part of ERP product. This will help in deciding the development needs.
ESS and MSS package details are provided below.
2. Realization – Detailing the needs
The next step would be to realise the details of each services. This detailing has to be at every single filed level. A detailed discussion of address service should contain what are the address types that employee can change or update? What are the address types that employee can only view? This will result into defining the subtypes at infotype level for address.
It is important to capture fields those are required by the customer so that the customization can be identified at infotype level. It is very important that the functional resource is involved at this stage as this also defines the modification requirements at infotype level.
The requirement regarding any email notification on change of data should also be captured in detail. Any workflow related requirement should also be capture during this phase.
Once all the requirements for the services are captured then it is important that you have a checklist that has all the below.
- List of services
- Field level details for each service
- Mail notification and workflow requirement for each service
Diffrent approches of customization
1. If the need for development is due to different field or process level requirement then first of all a check should be made if SAP provides similar standard service. If the service is availale as part of business package then the same technology should be adopted for customization. The best approch is to copy the same code and modify it as per customer need.
2. If there is no such service available in the product then the development can be done using a technology that is suitable to the customer. Customer needs to take this decision according to the IT infrasture and resources that can maintain the customized applications.
3. For most of the processes in HCM SAP provides Remote Function Modules. While developing the services the developer should make sure that there is enough effort taken to use standard available function modules.
4. If while self service implementation the standard role is required to be used then the portal consultant should make sure that the copy of the standard role is created and used in the system as changing the standard role will cause issues during upgrade.
5. SAP provides following technology for development
- Webdynpro ABAP
- Webdynpro JAVA
- Business Server Pages
If customer is upgrading the self services then it is important that all services should be moved to java or abap webdynpro according to the IT comfert.
6. ECC role also should be prepared by the security consultant accordingly. The functional consultant should provide the object details to make this activity smooth.
7. SAP provides homepage frame work as part of product, it is advisable to use this homepage frame work as a lot of feature like global employment uses this feature. Homepage frame work makes the maintanance of presentation layer of self services very easy.
If customer decides to use Webdynpro JAVA as the development technology then it is very important that Netweaver Development Infrstructure setup is completed before starting the development.
If Webdynpro ABAP is used as the development technology then makes sure note 1088717 is understood.
Performance related checks
It is recommended to do a sizing check of Enterprise Portal and ECC . The user base of self service is very huge so it is very important that the sizing excercise is completed before go live. Concurrent users details plays a major role in sizing.