SAP enhancement packages for SAP ERP are available for quite a while now with the latest version being SAP EHP4 for SAP ERP 6.0. (For further information regarding SAP enhancement packages for SAP ERP see SAP Service Marketplace under http://service.sap.com/ERP-EHP – SMP login required). But – at least – with respect to its installation this version marks a new phase in the history of EHPs for SAP ERP:
- First, this is the first enhancement package that makes using SAP Enhancement Package Installer (SAPehpi) a must for 64 Bit systems for the majority of use cases.
- Second, this is the first EHP for SAP ERP that is partially based on SAP enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0. (It is not allowed to install enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 in previous SAP ECC 6.0 systems including enhancement package 1-3).
“Is that good news?” you might ask yourself. Well, to put it in a nutshell: Using SAPehpi, most of the changes you apply to your ERP system are performed on a cloned system, while business continues without interruption. Only the system switch affects the system downtime – a big step forward compared to the process used before. And this procedure is available for EHP4 installation for all customers (for 64 bit systems), while for SAP EHP3 for SAP ERP still a The specified item was not found. exists.
For the second part, it simply means that you can now use the updated features of SAP NetWeaver EHP1 in your ERP system, while this could not be installed together with SAP ERP EHPs 1-3.
Installation Scenarios for EHP4 of SAP ERP 6.0
Things said until now apply to 64 bit systems. In that case the simple rule is: Use SAPehpi wherever possible. This means that you need not prepare the system before you apply enhancement package 4 using SAPehpi, because the complete stack of EHP4 and any other required software is automatically calculated by the SAP Solution Manager Maintenance Optimizer and installed together with EHP4 by the SAPehpi. This applies to any SP stack and previous EHPs that are required but not already present in the system. The scenarios we can distinguish then are those of updating the underlying SAP NetWeaver for both the ABAP and the Java stack or for the ABAP stack only. The two pictures should picture summarize this:
In both cases you download all objects you need from SAP Service Marketplace: SAP EHPs, Support Package stacks, and SAPehpi. The download stack of SAP EHPs and SPS must be defined and calculated in the SAP Solution Manager Maintenance Optimizer. You can update your SAP ERP 6.0 for both stacks and you can decide whether you update the underlying SAP NetWeaver for ABAP and Java or for AS ABAP only. The first case is simple: Use SAPehpi. In the second case, if you do not plan to update the underlying AS Java of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 use JSPM to deploy the Java part of SAP EHP4 for SAP ERP 6.0. You will use SAPehpi for ABAP stack also here.
As said before, these are the installation scenarios for 64 Bit installations. SAPehpi does not support 32 Bit systems. (Just to mention this: Note that for dual stack systems with SAPehpi it is only possible to update both stacks together.)
- To find out the latest things about SAPehpi and its download path in the SAP Service Marketplace see Note 1245473 – Additional Information – SAP Enhancement Package Installer.
- Details on the installation of SAP EHPs for SAP ERP 6.0 see the the SAP Service Marketplace (http://service.sap.com/erp-inst -> SAP ERP 6.0 -> SAP Enhancement Packages for SAP ERP 6.0 -> SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0): Here you find the Master Guides for SAP ERP and its enhancement packages.
- To read about SAP EHPs for SAP ERP you can read a series of blogs The specified item was not found..
- For details how SAP EHPs for SAP ERP depend on each other, see the blog Get Ready for Enhancement Packages (4) – Equivalent support packages and how they are related with Enhancement Packages