SAP NetWeaver features the System Landscape Directory (SLD). For those of you not familiar with the SLD only so much: SLD gathers information on system landscape and software catalog (for details, see our SLD presentation).
The latest version of the SLD is running on SAP NetWeaver 7.1. The most important new feature of this version perhaps is the full automatic content sync, which allows setting up two or more SLDs – see the presentation for reasons to have more than one SLD and other details – in a way that all content of one SLD is copied automatically into another. Since this type of synchronization can be set up as well in both directions between SLDs, they can be kept identical content wise:
This figure shows two SLDs set up with bidirectional full automatic sync. All system data from SLD data suppliers plus any manually added data will be kept in sync automatically in both SLDs.
Besides that the UI was given some attention and minor bugs in content sync have been fixed in SAP NetWeaver 7.10 SP5 (this will also be part of the SLD as part of SAP enhancement packages for SAP NetWeaver 7.1).
So you might ask yourself: “How do I get an SLD of SAP NetWeaver 7.10?” – Well, there are always two ways to install an SLD in the system landscape: Use a dedicated server for the SLD or install SLD together with another application. Also with SAP NetWeaver 7.1 there will be these options, namely:
- Installing the SLD together with another application will be possible with
– SAP NetWeaver 7.1 usage type PI (SAP on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows)
– Adaptive Computing Controller (Adaptive Computing) of SAP NetWeaver 7.1
– SAP NetWeaver 7.1 CE and Enterprise Services Repository & Registry (Enterprise Services Repository&Registry)
- Installing the SLD on a dedicated server is planned to become available with SAP enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1. Its availability will be announced in SDN.
For details how to assess the pros and cons of these options and our recommendations regarding SLD in your system landscape see SLD presentation and SLD Planning Guide.
To find out about SAP enhancement packages for SAP NetWeaver in general and how to install them see SDN article SAP Enhancement Packages for SAP NetWeaver.