There is no doubt in my mind that the title of my blog is controversial. But I chose it deliberately. I was reading all the blogs and comments by Craig, Marilyn and Why should you come to Community Day Bangalore from IBM and other contributors and mentors. I was not surprised by the enormous passion our community members expressed ( why I am not surprised is a different story) on Craig’s blog on the fact if we should to have a community day at all in Bangalore. We definitely always should… by the way
I think it partially has to do with the uncertain economy. It is probably now tougher than ever to sell to a manager who relies on you to produce, be billable, or otherwise to say I really think it is important to go for one day extra to TechEd to join community day and this is why… perhaps we need to help each one of you ?
So that takes me to the title of this blog: Is the BPX Community Day name too FLUFFY ? [ and trust me the day itself is definitely not… it is jam packed with tons of value, accredited by almost everyone who has been] … In order to understand I want to explain what the BPX community day in essence means
– Member themselves deliver very valuable and knowledgeable education about burning topics for the BPXer or aspiring BPXers; I have heard many members walk away from the day and said; I am glad I came, now I can go back to my company and do my work better.
– we have open dialogue about the topics ( it is not just a one way street )
– a day ful of discusisons and exchange, an avenue to connect with people that you can rely on during the whole of TechEd/Sapphire and beyond.
– a day to meet those people that you interact with online all year face to face ; This means you create deeper connections with people who can help you accelerate implementations, find solutions, and support you on other topics beyond the four walls of your company
– a day to meet the creme de la creme those top contributors that mean well for you and the community; knowing them can only help you get answers sometimes faster, and perhaps from different angles.
– not just delivered by SAP, but the community decides what is important
I think it comes down to this: What is the clear business value when you try to sell it to your manager to spend both a day and a small amount of money of your company. I think the above describes and sums it up pretty well. However I have heard many people say: now I much better understand why this BPX role is so important now and in the years to come and how it fits into this whole SOA revolution and SAP’s Business Platform approach.
Sometimes it might just be in the wording as well.. so here is my take on it: Should we rename community day to show/share/explain the value better/more. Here are some attempts.. but I want to open up the idea box and get your feedback as well. ( both positive, negative, and otherwise )
BPX bootcamp delivered by the BPX community ?
BPX wisdom day instructed by the BPX community
Business Process Convention
Business Process School instructed by the BPX community
Business Process in action
Business Process Cook off
Or my personal favorite right now: BPX Academy instructed by the BPX community…
I would love to hear your take on it..