A common requirement from clients would be to create print document layouts that are identical / homogenous throughout and entire module (for example, AR Sales).
There’s nothing worse then having the AR Sales Order’s title off by 0.5 cm when compared to the AR Sales Invoice.
Many clients also use pre-printed forms for the AR Sales Order, AR Delivery Order and AR Invoice.
Quite often then not, the consultant will have to go through a phase of trial and error to make sure the customized layout (within Crystal Reports) prints correctly on to the pre-printed form.
One good way to reduce the guess work from this process is to first scan the pre-printed form, and then include it as an underlay image within the Crystal Reports document layout.
1. Scan the pre-printed form. In the example below, I’ve created one from scratch. It has the Header, Row / Details and the Footer area along with the fields clearly marked out. Cream coloured boxes are to be text fields and blue coloured boxes will be the data field within Crystal reports.
2. Use the “Insert Picture” function to insert the image. In some cases, you can even cut up the original image to fit the Header, Row/Detail and Footer area separately.
3. Make sure the image is currently selected, and click the ‘Selection Expert’ icon.
4. Check the ‘Underlay Following Sections’ checkbox.
5. Start dragging data fields and text fields over the underlain image.
6. Finally, select the underlain image, and delete it.
7. Notice that your data and text fields are now all in neat order, and you can be sure that when you print the layout, it will fit nicely within the pre-printed form.