In any SAP implementation , formation of the project teams and team members are decided based on the quantum of the work and complexity of the project, if the project is small and simple, then the project teams are formed in modular approach, but if the project is big and complex, it is better to adopt Process based approach.
Currently we are implementing a SAP ECC, CRM and BI for one of the India’s Largest Engineering and Construction company. As the project encompasses all the possible modules of SAP ECC, CRM and BI, we have form the team on Process bases approach.
What is the Process Based approach?
Process based approach for formation of the project team is an efficient and effective way for implementing a Large and complex projects. It is basically executing a business process end to end which may be across different system.
In Process based approach, Process Champion is identified, who will ensure smooth running of end to end process. All the team members involved in the process are committed for successful execution of the process.
Advantage of Process based approach:
- Better understanding of the customer business process. For e.g. if the customer is explaining his Sales Cycle, it is very difficult for any consultant who is purely a SD consultant to understand CRM Lead, Opportunity and Quotation, as well as further processes in ECC like Generation of Equipment Master, Posting in G/L accounts
- Complete responsibility and accountability of a Business process lies with a Process owner. Process owner takes a lead in identifying the responsible team members, who will make sure smooth and error free execution of a business process seamlessly across the system landscape
- Process approach is also beneficial for Subject Matter Experts (SMW), as they don’t have to meet individual module consultant, rather SME have to just contact and explain their concern to Process owner
Process team can defined in the following way;
Processes from ECC
- OTC: Order To Cash which includes module like Sales and Distribution
- MTI: Manufacture To Inventory which include module like Production Planning
- PTP: Procure To Pay which include module like Material Management
- PTC: Posting to Control which includes module like Controlling and Finance
- PTF: Posting to Finalisation, this process includes members from Financial team
- ALM: Asset Life Management it is managed by Plant maintenance
- QAC: Quality and Control
Processes from CRM
- MTL: Market To Lead, which represents CRM Marketing
- LTQ: Lead To Quote, which represents CRM Sales
- STC: Service To Completion, which represents CRM Service
- Reporting and Analytics: Team of BI
All of the above teams and team members are divided, as per the business Process, for e.g. If there is a business process called as Complaint Processing, then there will be a Process Champion who will be responsible for execution of the business process with the help of team members from other processes.
The complaint processing requires members from OTC, PTC, ALM and PTF. Team members will understand the business process and design, configure and test the process in the system. Similarly, the same team members will be involved in other business processes.