The client-side development tools of SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 are available available as a 90 days evaluation download. It’s a development edition for local development, only for non-productive evaluation purposes. You can get the installation package on SDN’s download page.
SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 Trial Version – Development Tools only consists of
- Mobile perspectives of SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 for NWDS
They allow model&code development of mobile components for business logic and UI. These components are assembled into mobile applications that run in occasionally-connected mode on top of NetWeaver Mobile Client for Handhelds. Web Dynpro is used as UI modeling technology. An emulation environment for local deployment of your development is contained also.
- Local Data Object Editor perspective
This tool supports you in creating local data object definitions. This is required, if you want to create a custom application using own data objects. In the standard SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1, such data object definitions would need to be created on NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.1. Since the NetWeaver AS ABAP is not part of the SDN package, the local data object editor allows to still realize such scenarios. Please note that: This tool is unique to the SDN download package and itself not part of the SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 standard shipment. Data object definitions created using this tool cannot be imported into NetWeaver AS ABAP’s Data Object Workbench
Usage of the Local Data Object Editor perspective is described in this article.
- NetWeaver Mobile Client for Handhelds
The client can be automatically installed on a Windows Mobile(TM) 5.0 or Windows Mobile 2003 SE that is currently connected through Microsoft ActiveSync. The client will be installed together with SAP’s MinDB database. The client serves as runtime environment for occasionally-connectd mobile applications developed in NWDS.
- Sample application
This application implements creating, updating, deleting and querying employee data on a mobile device. It allows a quick start with the development tools by inspecting the application’s model as well as understanding deployment process and runtime API.
Note: SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.1 is NOT part of the download package, but is integral part of the product shipment SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1. In order to synchronize applications that you have developed with SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 Trial Version, you absolutely need to install SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.1 also. Without such installation, applications you have developed with the Trial Version will only be able to run standalone on NW Mobile Client, but without data synchronization.
The package supports three installation modes:
- Full Install
This option installs mobile plugins for NetWeaver Developer Studio and also installs NetWeaver Mobile Client for Handhelds on a Windows Mobile (TM) device that is currently connected through Microsoft ActiveSync. You can optionally include the sample application as well as the local data object editor
- Install Mobile Applications for Handhelds Perspective
This option installs the mobile plugins for NetWeaver Developer Studio only. You can optionally include the sample application as well as the local data object editor
- Install SAP NetWeaver Mobile Client
This option installs NetWeaver Mobile Client for Handhelds on a Windows Mobile (TM) device that is currently connected through Microsoft ActiveSync.
Before you start installation, please ensure that
- System requirements listed on the package’s download page are met
- If mobile client is to be set up on a Windows Mobile(TM) device using installation modes 1) or 3), such a device needs to have a connection established with your PC.
In this case, you also need to first download a free evaluation copy of nsicom Creme 4.12 Java Virtual Machine (J2ME CDC) from here. The Creme (TM) installer package does not need to be executed – it will be installed by the NW Mobile 7.1 installer automatically.
- If you do not have a Windows Mobile (TM) device at hand, you can alternatively use the free Microsoft Device Emulator 3.0 – Standalone Release that is available here together with the emulator images for Windows Mobile 5.0 or Windows Mobile PocketPC 2003 SE.
Please note that the emulator has slower performance than a real device and may in detail behave slightly differently than a physical device in some situations. If you run into an error, you should always verify, if you can recreate the same issue on a physical device also.
Please also note that NW Mobile Client requires 128 MB RAM and 128 MB Flash -ROM memory for MS Windows Mobile 5.0 and 128 MB RAM for MS Windows Mobile PocketPC 2003 SE. The emulator by default launches with 64MB RAM/Flash-ROM only. To change this behaviour, the parameters /memsize 128 and /norsize128 need to be set at emulator startup.
Next steps and further reading
After the installation, you can launch SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio and start working with NW Mobile 7.1 development tools.
- To use the packaged sample application, read First steps with NW Mobile 7.1 Trial Version.
- For creating your own application from scratch, read this article.
- For technical overview information on development with NW Mobile 7.1, watch this eLearning. I also recommend this architectural eLearning on NW Mobile 7.1.
- For more advanced developer documentation, read the mobile section of SAP NetWeaver Developer Guide under Help > Help Contents in NW Developer Studio or follow this link.
- For Javadoc API documentation on NW Mobile Client for Handhelds, check this link.
- For complete documentation on NetWeaver Mobile 7.1, check this link.
- For general information on NW Mobile 7.1, don’t miss to visit the general SAP NetWeaver Mobile page within SDN.
- The installer package today only detects J2SE 5.0 JDK, even though NWDS CE, Mobile Development Tools and NW Mobile Client all run onJ2SE 6.0 also. Please ensure that you have J2SE 5.0 JDK installed, you can later switch back to J2SE 6.0 if you need.
- It can happen that the installer is not able to install all pieces of NetWeaver Mobile Client in one go. To check if your installation was successful, just launch the client by selecting Start > Programs > NetWeaver Mobile on your mobile device. This will show a dialog box saying “Loading Creme(TM). Please wait”. If the client has not launched successfully after 2 minutes (initial launch is time-consuming; later launches will be a lot faster), check, if the installation was successful by choosing Start > Settings > Tab System > Remove Programs on your mobile device. The list of installed programs should contain all of the following: NSIcom CrE-ME, SAP MINDB, SAP Netweaver Mobile Client 7.1 Runtime, SAP Netweaver Mobile Client OCA. If nsicom Creme is missing, trigger re-install of the package that you downloaded from nsicom. If any of the other three is missing, start the NW Mobile 7.1. installer package again and choose installation mode 3).
- If you choose to install Nsicom Creme during the NW Mobile Client installation also and then choose to reboot the device as prompted by the device, then the remaining mobile components (NW Mobile Client Runtime, NW Mobile Client OCA and MinDB) will only be installed after the device has rebooted and connection through ActiveSync has been re-established.
- If you face other issues during installation, check out the SAP for Mobile.