SAP Discovery System for enterprise SOA is a complete learning and testing environment designed to offer you the opportunity to test-drive and experience the power of enterprise SOA in a familiar landscape. Amongst other SAP products, it contains a preconfigured SAP ERP 6.0 with Enhancement Packs 1+2 including more than 700 reusable enterprise services.
Recently, SAP released the new cornerstone products in its enterprise SOA roadmap – the NetWeaver Composition Environment (CE) and the Enterprise Services Repository (ESR) Although the CE and the ESR are not installed on the Discovery System, we included with the Discovery System all the needed data and configuration that ensure easy and straight forward integration between the Discovery System and CE/ESR.
How How Does It Work?
Basically, we simulate the real life “side-car” approach which means that the Discovery System simulates your productive ERP 6.0/NW 7.0 environment and serves as a backend providing services to the NW CE environment which runs on a separate system.
We recently published an exciting step-by-step exercise including downloadable source code that will guide you through the process of developing a “sales order tracking” composite application that uses the CE, the ESR and also leverages enterprise services from the Discovery System. By following the exercise you will learn:
- How to consume enterprise services via the Service Registry from the Discovery System by using different User Interface (UI) tools of CE
- How to model and define a new enterprise service using the ESR by leveraging an existing service from the Discovery System
- How to implement an enterprise service using the Composite Application Framework and services composition
The exercise is divided into three main parts:
1. Instructions for setting up the development environment including installation of CE, ESR and NW developer studio.
2. Enterprise services discovery and consumption.
Consuming enterprise services flow diagram
3. Definition and implementation of a new enterprise service using the ESR and the Composite Application framework.
Implementing new enterprise services flow diagram
What Do You Need To Get Started?
All you need is the SAP Discovery System V3, a PC with 2GB of RAM (for the CE+ESR installation,) and some free time. Then you can download the exercise document and let the fun begin!