Starting a Mobile Project or Upgrading an existing one?
SAP has released the next generation of mobile platform called SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1. The platform has been re-architected for high scalability and performance. There are new tools that enable model driven application development making application development faster compared to its predecessors.
While the platform is built to ensure investment protection i.e. the current application built on earlier releases of Mobile Infrastructure continue to run on SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1, the applications need to be adopted to an event driven architecture to benefit from the higher scalability provided by the new platform. The standard SAP applications like xMAM, xMAU, xMTT etc. will be released after adoption on the new platform in the following months.
Before starting a new mobile project or considering an upgrade, check the following flow chart that provides some guiding questions that may prove valuable in your decision making process.
Key benefits of the new platform
- Higher Scalability
- The new version handles more mobile devices and larger volumes of data.
- New event-driven architecture for a significant increase in system performance and shorter device synchronization times.
- New highly optimized data realignment algorithms.
- Higher Productivity and Flexibility in Development
- Flexible model-driven data distribution capability: The new architecture makes it much easier to create and change data distribution rules
- Model-driven development environment for mobile applications: Mobile components can now be developed using the Web Dynpro framework, resulting in shorter development cycles and reduced TCD.
- Improved Mobile Device Management, Monitoring and Security
- Improved administration and monitoring of a large number of mobile devices with low effort
- New version management reduces the costs for mobile application upgrades
- Provides the ability for system administrators to define threshold levels to enable pro-active monitoring of current system performance as well as recording system load statistics for periodic performance measurements
- Utility provides the ability to track security incidents, such as failed application logon attempts, and allows taking preventative action by blocking the synchronization of the device
- Investment Protection
- Compatibility layer for existing mobile applications: The compatibility layer allows you to continue using mobile applications built on earlier versions of SAP NetWeaver Mobile (e.g. Mobile Infrastructure 2.5).
More information on SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1
SAP NetWeaver Mobile Level 1 Presentation.
Please I'm looking for informations about MI71; our scope should be to start a new project for MAM30.
I heard with MI71 the middleware will be Abap only, but till now I did not find any clear documentation.
What about the "Setup Packages" , so the way to bundle all the components (framework client, MI applications) into a single setup file (for PDA and Laptop) to make easy the installation for the end-user ?