And You Thought Galaxy was Chocolate Bar…but it is a new BPM Tool from SAP – TechEd News
Just had a session at TechEd with the SAP guy who is heading up the development of the GALAXY Business Process Management tool that was announced yesterday at TechEd Munich and it was a very interesting and frank session.
Thanks to Marilyn Pratt for sorting it out at the BPX club house.
Things I thought I heard (although I might be wrong) :-
- Galaxy has a long term roadmap to become a process abstraction layer for SAP – you change the process model and the deployed system changes…cool
- Initially the focus is “Edge” type Composition for processes outside the core SAP processes, the core maybe exposed later
- BPMN as a model language – so that both business and IT can understand
- Tool uses Eclipse so that developers and BPX, work together on the same model – no throwing the model over the wall
- CAF Guided Procedures will be replaced – but can be used today – Galaxy is still some way off (12 – 18 months)
- ccBPM will be replaced eventually once the process engine has been proved, but investment in BPEL models will be protected
- The tool is about modelling and operation of processes. There is still a space for Enterprise modelling tools which model conceptual processes / optimise processes and include other perspectives.
- Usage of the new rules engine (Yasu) will be key to reducing complexity
- Many lessons have been learned from tools like CAF and ccBPM, easy usage is key
And many moe things……..