Refer our earlier blogs (Finance owned and managed SAP CPM – Part I, Finance owned and managed SAP CPM – Part II and Finance owned and managed SAP CPM – Part III) on this topic and we discuss additional features on the finance owned and managed topics.
Robust Data Manager
An important element of the budgeting and reporting product is the ability to manage data i.e. bringing data from different source, copying data across different scenarios, and any kind of mass data management. Availability of a robust and usable data manager would be very important in this context.
SAP Business Planning and Consolidation provides comprehensive, robust and intuitive data manager capabilities. This allows for the following capabilities that the finance users can manage from the BPC for Excel interface:
– Data manager provides intuitive wizard driven user interface to perform various actions such as copying data from one data area to another e.g. actuals to forecast.
– Data manager packages can be created and scheduled. This allows large amount of data to be managed effectively
– The user is provided with multiple actions as part of the data manager, through the action pane (a screenshot is provided below)
– Data Upload – Loading of data from flat files
– Data download – downloading data that is available in the application into a file that can be pushed to any other application
– Transformations – This allows external data to be mapped and brought into SAP BPC into a format acceptable for reporting in SAP BPC
– Conversions – This allows creating generic mapping between the accounts in the external data to the accounts in the SAP BPC, and these can be references for transformation of data
– Data manager also provides ability to create new packages that can run calculations both in online mode or in a batch mode
– As highlighted earlier the error logging is very business centric in order for the finance owner to troubleshoot any problems
As mentioned earlier, finance would love to control every aspect of what is going on in the budgeting and reporting applications. Security especially is a very important aspect where finance does not want IT to be involved, as only finance understand who should get what level of security. For example, finance would definitely not want an IT administrator to know what are the budget sanctioned for a particular project or what is CEO salary. Though finance would like to have control of the security, if the user interface and flexibility to manage the security is complex, they would not have the time nor the inclination to manage it. This becomes a big threat as IT involvement to manage security brings up a sensitive issue, and also makes it legally unviable. Another important requirement is to ensure security is controlled by appropriate stakeholders, to ensure internal controls as laid out by Sarbanes Oxley Act.
SAP Business Planning and Consolidation solutions offer very intuitive, dynamic and robust security configuration. The following features allows security to be owned and managed by finance users:
– Wizard driven interface allowing a guided approach for managing the user profiles and security
– Windows users can be called for from within the interface and mapped
– Flexibility in setting security from entire application level to individual account level
– Managing users into groups to manage security assignments
– Allows creation of different task profiles that allows different user groups to have access to relevant tasks
– Search feature to search users from the windows domain
Snapshot of the security screen is provided below:
” We will continue to blog on how SAP CPM solutions are finance owner and managed. The new offerings from SAP CPM are addressing the challenges faced by Empowering the business user to implement business change with CPM very SAP gets serious about EPM.