I love track based development in the NWDI.
I hate track based development in the NWDI.
Unfortunately both the statements are true.
Consider the following development/deployment scenario in track Welcome. Figure 1 illustrates this.
1. DC HelloWorld is assigned to Activity A (ACT A)
2. DC SapWorld is assigned to Activity B (ACT B)
3. Check in and Activate both the activities
4. DC’s HellowWorld and SapWorld are deployed in Development Server
5. To take it further, release ACT A and ACT B and import them in the consolidation server defined in track Welcome
6. Both the Developmnet components are available for further testing in Consolidation server
7. After testing, the activities can be assemble into Software Welcome and deployed in the test server configured for track Welcome.
8. Tes,Approve the software version and import the software to the production server.
What if after testing in Consolidation server, you find bugs in HelloWorld DC and dont want to transport the HelloWorld DC further?
But at the same time you want to proceed with deploying SapWorld DC to the test system…
Using the current NWDI you cant do this. Either both SapWorld and HelloWorld components get assembled and deployed to TEST system or nothing goes forward.
Is this a limitation?
Check the first two parts of this blog series