Welcome to NetWeaver SAPSetup…
It’s been five years with SAP already – five years that went bye a lot faster than I had originally imagined! The culmination of these five years of learning is SAP’s new front-end software management and deployment tool – NetWeaver SAPSetup.
This new version allows network administrators at our customer sites to manage the installation of multiple SAP front-end components – prominent among them being SAP GUI for Windows 710, A1S components and software from SAP partners like Adobe.This new installation tool is an improvement over the erstwhile one in the following areas –
- A new Installation Server that can dynamically size itself to hold multiple SAP front-end components / products.
- A workstation installer that allows the deployment of these multiple components as and when they are available on the installation server.
- New check-tools that help the administrator diagnose deployment problems on the Installation Server and on the workstations.
- New dedicated error documentation and logging mechanism that stores a crisp history of errors on the machine in a dedicated folder, viewable in any browser.
- New command-line parameters that help do more with little effort.
That was just a broad overview of the new installation tool (that by the way is 6 months old today!) and in the next BLOG-posts I shall explain each of these individual components and their enhanced features in detail.
If you are visiting SAP TechEd in Las Vegas, don’t forget to attend my sessions on Wednesday, 3rd October between 05:15 and 06:15 pm, or on Thursday, 4th October between 10:30 and 11:30 am.
Last but not the least, I would like to share the credits on this new installation tool with my wonderful colleagues at development for their unending support, with our quality managers who keep giving their valuable feedback, with the testers themselves who on more than one occasion found or helped find something that should never reach our customers and last but not the least — our customers and network administrators who give us wonderful feedback on what they’d like to have and on ways in which we can improve the installer to make SAP software deployment a breeze. Evidently, we are listening. Now, through this BLOG, we are also talking to you, directly. Keep visiting!
With best regards,