During the last days I’ve faced the problem that the IC WebClient dumped with the error message HTTP_COMMUNICATION_FAILURE. The error was caused by this special Network setup, where the IC WebClient was accessed from an external Network.
What happens when a User tries to access the IC WebClient?
- User enters the IC WebClient URL http://crm.test.com/sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_ic/default.htm in the Browser
- HTTP Request is sent out to the Server
- Firewall forwards the request to the Server crmsrv1.other.domain. But in the HTTP Request the server name is still crm.test.com
- IC WebClient Application receives the request and starts processing
- During this processing configuration data has to be loaded
- Configuration Data is loaded via a HTTP Client Request using the Server address set in the icm/host_name_full Profile parameter
- The External IP matching crm.test.com can’t be resolved & accessed from the network behind the firewall
- HTTP_COMMUNICATION_FAILURE error occurs
Add the external FQDN i.e. crm.test.com to the WebAS ABAP hosts file pointing to the local IP.