Using SAP MMC to view/manage SAP systems from laptop is a great tool for NetWeaver administrators. Here is how to install and configure it.
1. Download the package MMC_1-20000252.SAR from service.sap.com/swdc – Entry by Application Group – SAP NetWeave – SAP NETWEAVER – SAP NETWEAVER 04 – Entry by Component – Application Server ABAP – SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE – Windows Server on IA32 32bit – #Database independent (There are more than one way to get the package, including the copy on the kernel DVD. And future patches would have different filenames.)
2. Download the sapcar.exe to your PC/laptop if you haven’t done so.
3. From DOS command, execute
>sapcar –xvf MMC_1-20000252.SAR
You should get the following files
MMC\readme.txt The installation guide for SAP MMC
MMC\ads.exe Microsoft ADSI: ads (not used on Windows XP)
MMC\immc.exe Install Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 1.1: immc (not used on Windows XP)
MMC\sapmmc.sar SAP MMC executables
4. Further extract the executables by running the following
>..\sapcar –xvf sapmmc.sar
5. Copy sapmmc.dll, sapmmcms.dll, sapmmcdb6.dll, sapmmcinf.dll, sapmmcada.dll, and sapstartsrv.exe to C:\Windows\system32
6. Check that librfc32.dll is available in C:\Windows\system32 (both librfc32.dll and librfc32u.dll are likely available if you have installed SAP GUI already) If not, copy from the SAR file.
7. Change directory
8. Register DCOM Type library of the service
> sapstartsrv -t
Click on “OK” in the following Window
9. Register the R/3 MMC extension snapins>
>regsvr32 sapmmcms.dll (Microsoft SQL Server)
>regsvr32 sapmmcdb6.dll (DB2 UDB on Unix and Windows)
>regsvr32 sapmmcinf.dll (Informix)
>regsvr32 sapmmcada.dll (maxDB)
You should get the successful message like the following.
10. Start mmc from DOS or Run
11. Click on menu “File” – “Add/Remove Snap-in”
12. Click on “Add”
13. Select “SAP System Manager” then “Add”
17. You should get a fully-functioning MMC like below. Save the configuration to your Desktop or another location.
18. To add more systems into the MMC later, right-click on “SAP Systems” and select “Properties”, open the “Fixed” tab and input the info accordingly.