This blogs explains the use of sapmake_util SAP tool in creating business packages. After going through this blog, you will understand this process has been made much simpler with this tool.
There can be situations where we would have created many applications like Webdynpro applications, some custom portal components and would have some Enterprise Portal Archive (epa) files etc. We would have to deploy these separately. Portal applications are deployed using Portal. Webdynpro and other J2EE applications are deployed using Software Deployment Manager (SDM). For importing epa files, again we need portal. Imagine if all these can be done in a single step. That is where sapmake_util tool comes in hand.
Sapmake_util tool can be downloaded as zip file from the attachment in SAP Note 696084. If u have the S-user id,
Download from market place: sapmake_util.zip
You don’t have S- user id. No Problem. You can download the zip file from the portal server also. Go to this link
Download from portal server: sapmake_util.zip
The following conversions can be made.
1) ear to sda – No conversion is needed
2) par to sda – file par will be converted to file ear
3) epa to sda – file epa will be converted to file_sda.epa
4) sda to sca – all sda and ear will be converted to a single sca as file00_0.sca
Steps to follow:
1) SAP Home is the folder where JDTeclipse is installed. Extract the sapmake_util.zip in sapmake_util folder inside SAP Home. So SAP Home will contain JDT and sapmake_util folders. In this case, SAP Home is C:Program FilesSAP. The structure inside SAP is shown below.
2) Set SAPIDE_HOME and PATH environmental variables. Right Click ‘My Computer’ -> Properties -> ‘Advanced’ tab -> Environmental Variables.
3) Open sapmake.properties file inside sapmake_util folder and edit the following.
Change vendor=unspecified as vendor=cognizant.com
4) Copy the files to be converted into sapmake_util folder.
5) Go to command prompt and navigate to sapmake_util folder. To check the syntax, just type the bat file name and press enter. It will display the usage.
a) Convert par to ear:
SampleParProject.ear will be created inside sapmake_util folder.
b) Convert epa to sda:
epa2sda epafilename sda_to_be_created
SampleEPA_sda.epa file will be created inside sapmake_util folder.
c) Convert sda or all other ear files to sca:
Create a folder inside sapmake_util called ‘MyCollection’ and copy the required sda, ear files into this folder. Here the above created ear SampleParProject.ear and epa SampleEPA_sda.epa files are moved into this folder. Additionally some ear file generated from Webdynpro or any J2EE application can also be added to the folder for adding to the package. Now to convert the folder as business package, use
sca sda_collection_folder sca_to_be_created
MySca00_0.sca file will be created inside sapmake_util folder. This SCA file can be used in SDM to deploy all the applications directly.
You now know how to make your boss happy 🙂