Last week the first preview release of the SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment (SAP NetWeaver CE) became available. It can be downloaded from the Service market place.
Update: Now the SAP Memory analyzer is available as a separate download from here !
At the core of SAP NetWeaver CE is the latest version of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server component. It is fully compatible with Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 5, including complete support for all the major Java technologies including Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0 (EJB 3.0) and the latest data persistence models. As an added bonus, the version of SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio integrated in SAP NetWeaver CE is based on the openstandard Eclipse 3.2 framework.
Last but not least SAP NetWeaver CE includes a little gem called “SAP Memory Analyzer” :
SAP Memory Analyzer is a new tool for analyzing the memory consumption of your java application. I’m might be a bit biased, because I have been working closely together with the team that developed this tool, but I really believe that this tool will set a new standard for memory consumption analysis.
IMHO until now, memory consumption analysis using heap dumps of large Java enterprise applications was very difficult and time consuming, and often not very practical. If you ever tried to load a heap dump greater than 1Gbyte into JHAT tool for example, you will know what I’m talking about.
It just would not work, unless you have a “monster” machine.
The unique features are :
- provides powerful functions for finding the biggest objects in the heap, such as “retained size” and dominator tree analysis.
- easy to use Eclipse RCP based interface.
- Analyse heap dumps > 1Gbyte and with up to around 20 Million objects on a 32 bit machine and even bigger heap dumps on a 64 bit machine.
- uses high performance algorithms, and indices, that speed up most operations after the heap dump has been initially parsed.
- Comes with special SAP J2EE features, such as the ability to show the memory consumption for sessions and classloaders.
- works with the built in heap dumps of the following VM’s : Sun JVMs (1.4.2_12 or higher and 1.5.0_07 or higher), HP-UX VM (1.4.2_11 or higher) and SAP JVMs (since 1.5.0)
- you can download it for free
I prepared a short flash based walk through, that shows you the most important features. Go and check the URL at the top of this article.
This is only the first version of this tool. We already use a newer, much more powerful version, of this tool internally. So there’s hope, that you will get an even more powerful version within the near future 🙂
I my next blogs I will write about how memory consumption can be measured and analyzed.