Choosing Multiple Values within Visual Composer
Lately, I’ve had a few people ask about choosing multiple values for filtering within Visual Composer. This blog discusses the options for this.
There is no way to directly choose multiple values from a form box as the form element only stores a singular record per form field. Therefore, the focus of this blog discusses potential workarounds.
- Use Value Help Wizard – By far, the easiest option is to use the value help wizard. This will generate a popup iView to choose your values as displayed below. To build this, just right click on a field in your form, and choose the value help wizard option.
- Use Table Element – In this case, you can use a multiselect table element instead of a form as input for your data service. In this example, I’m going to base it off a BI Query. To build this, you would follow these steps:
1. Insert InfoObject Dataservice into your model.
2. Connect output of infoobject dataservice to a table.
3. Specify the selection mode of the table as “Multiple”.
4. Connect the output of the table to the input of your BI Query Dataservice.
5. Map the output of the table field to the input of your BI Dataservice.
6. Create an output table from your BI Query to display your results.
See the example below for selecting distribution channels. You can hold down the CTRL key to select multiple values. You have the option to put this table in a layer or a popup for preserving screen real-estate if need be.
- Use BI elements – Visual Composer doesn’t natively allow you to multiselect values in a dropdown within a form. To do this, you have to use another UI Elements. This how-to guide shows how to do it in VC: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/5a40f2f7-0c01-0010-d69f-c6317c5165cd. In this scenario, you can get an output such as displayed below:
These are the options as of SPS9. Hopefully you find this useful.