Adobe Document Service is most commonly used while integrating the form based business processes. As an integration expert we should leverage this overwhelming out-of the box feature provided by SAP. Adobe Document Services is a shared service in SAP NW 2004S that is deployed on SAP XI J2EE as a web service and it communicates with SAP WAS ABAP using SOAP Protocol. I will discuss the settings required for the services to be up and running.
One of the most recurrent illustrations is an online bank account opening form that can be filled by customer online and posted into the banker proprietary database. Let’s suppose we come across a scenario where Online Account Opening Form Webservice sends data to XI which has to be the sent to the respective ERP systems using respective XI Adapter.
So it is essential for us to learn it. Isn’t it?
We have to configure the adobe document services on XI that is synonymous for SAP Web AS ABAP+JAVA. The complete configuration guide can be either found on service market place or
This blog discusses about the post installation steps that are required to be done once the ADS is configured on SAP XI WAS.
1. We need to create system users ADSUSER and a service user ADS_AGENT to be created on XI ABAP stack as shown below.
2. A dummy role ADSCALLERS has to be created and assigned to ADSUSER and SAP_BC_FP_ICF role has to be assigned to ADS_AGENT.
3. An RFC destination ADS of type G has to be created IN SM59 with the XI Java host details as shown below. You can test the destination in SM59 using Connection Test Option and the response code will be ok if the configuration is correct.
7. Installing ActiveXControl Framework in your PC. You have to download the .exe file from Service Market place and install on your PC for playing around interactive forms. Refer to the note
for more info. After Installing Go to Control->Panel->Add or Remove Programs and check if the file is present as shown below.
8. Download most recent version of Acrobat Reader from adobe site in your PC.
9. Check the security tab in your browser by choosing Tools->Internet Options and security tab to enable the ActiveXControlFrameworks. It has to be enabled as shown below.
Now you can execute the report
(Version information is displayed if everything is correct), check
(Displays Sample PDF if everything is correct) and also check the report
that displays interactive PDF form if everything is correct.
If you are successful, you can now start configuring interactive scenarios in SAP XI that uses Adobe.
I did not cover the configuration required for the
of the interactive forms.