What exactly do I mean?
Well, normally when you go to Universal Worklist it looks like the following graphic.
There are four tabs: Tasks, Alerts, Notifications, and Tracking. In my case, I only want Alerts. So, in the end it should look like the following graphic:
So, how do we do this?
Start by reading the online help. Here you can find out how to customize actions, tabs, create custom views, and all kinds of good stuff!
There are a few basic steps to removing tabs from UWL:
- Download uwl.standard xml configuration.
- Remove everything but the navigation nodes.
- Remove all navigation nodes except for the ones you want (example Alerts)
- Upload to portal.
- Clear cache
- Update the UWL configuration useNavigationID to point to your uploaded XML. At this point you may have more than one copy of the UWL iView. The one with the navigationID Main will be the one with all tabs. The one with navigationID you set in your XML will be the one with the alerts.
OK – let’s get a bit more specific.
1. Download uwl.standard xml configuration
For this just navigate to System Administration – System Configuration – Universal Worklist & Workflow. Once you are in the UWL configuration page, look for Click to Administrate Item Types and View Definitions. If you click on this you will see all the UWL configuration files, including the uwl.standard.
Select uwl.standard and just select download.
2. Remove everything but the navigation nodes then 3. Remove all navigation nodes except for the ones you want.
I removed everything until my file looked like this:
Everything in this XML was in the standard xml. The only change I made was change the name of “alerts2” to “ALERTS_ONLY”.
4. Upload to the portal and 5. Clear the cache These two steps are very easy. Just go to the UWL admininstration page and click on the same link where we did the download, this time select the tab, “Upload New Configuration”. I named my file ALERTS_ONLY, uploaded the xml file I just created, set it as high priority. In the end I now have my own configuration file.
If you’ve already done some XML customizing for UWL, please, please BLOG what you’ve done and share your XML configuration. This is discussed in online help and I’ve covered it in previous years TechED sessions, but your experience would be GREAT to share with others!!!
6. Update UWL configuration.
I’m writing this blog because of this last step. It is easy to do, but if you have not done it before it can be the trickest because you may not know where to go. We need to tell the UWL navigation ID to use our XML to get the tabs, so we have to change the configuration of the iView. To do this navigate to the following:
Content Administration – Portal Content.
Then navigate to Portal Content- Content Provided by SAP – End User Content – Standard Portal Users – Standard User Role.
Then select “Universal Worklist” and “Open”.
For the “Property Category” select “Show All”.
Look for the property useNavigationId.
This property value defaults to main. I changed it to ALERTS_ONLY, the same value in my XML file.
Now when I go to Universal Worklist, I only see the Alerts tab!
Gotta love UWL!!