Start with enterprise SOA already today
Few weeks ago in Sapphire Orlando and Paris, SAP introduced a new server called SAP Discovery System for enterprise SOA. I thought I’d give the SDN’ers a quick overview of what it is and how customers and partners can understand and start with their enterprise SOA vision already today. Most important!!! No need in installation, configuration and optimization since everything is preinstalled and preconfigured in ONE box. The server is already available from http://www.hp.com/go/server/sap Here is a short overview of what is inside the SAP Discovery System :
- SAP ECC 5.0 configured with SAP Best Practices tool suite , SAP NetWeaver 2004 SP 14
- Portal (SAP NW Portal) + KM
- Process Integration (SAP NW XI)
- Master Data Management (SAP NW MDM)
- Business Intelligence (SAP BW)
- Operating System & Database
- Microsoft Windows 2003
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Sample Scenario
- Extensively documented configuration
- Documented prototype and development environment with a working example
- Complete example composite application code provided, including guidance on how to redeploy key scenarios and content in your own environment
I think that the general overview of the server is covered pretty good on SAP Discovery System for Enterprise SOA on SDN so in this article I will describe more the scenario which built in the Discovery System.
Why the scenario?
Customer and partners can say: OK I got a preinstalled and preconfigured environment , so what can I do with it and how all this related to enterprise SOA at all ? This is exactly why SAP Discovery System delivered with sample scenario which not only uses all of the components in the box but also developed by using different development tools (presenting different UIs) for different use cases and all the steps in the scenario using underlying Web Services. The Discovery System demo scenario walks through a common business scenario Procurement scenario. What is most important is to understand and focus more on the implementation and UI of the scenario but not the business scenario itself. The new technology and UI are the main differentiators of enterprise SOA from previous technologies and you can really see in SAP Discovery System how common business scenario looks much simpler, more attractive and can be redeployed much quicker comparing to the previous product generations.
- First a sales person places an order using Adobe Interactive forms.
- When the procurement manager logs into his portal he notices he uses an analytics application to analyze the current stock situation and notices there is a shortage on several parts, one of them holding up significant revenue at the end of the quarter. He launches a Web Dynpro application to initiate a request for quotation from several of his suppliers, receives their quotes, and selects the number of parts from each supplier he wants to purchase.
- Finally, the warehouse manager logs into her portal to receive the goods and enter them into the ERP system.
There are 3 types of UIs that are used in the demo, and the 3 ways you will see a user interact with the Discovery System: SAP Analytics (developed with Visual Composer model), WebDynpro and Adobe Interactive Forms.
- You can find updated material/info on SDN
- Check out TechTour page on SDN for TechTour stops that also have SAP Discovery System Workshops
- You can hear more about the Discovery System and talk to the experts at TechEd events
- Stay tuned,complete doc set will be posted on SAP Discovery System for enterprise SOA page on SDN soon!
In the second part of the article I will describe the architecture of SAP Discovery System and the roles of all NetWeaver components in the scenario described above. Stay tuned!!!