Master data is a company asset. The better the data, the better business operation (and the lower the costs)
In addition to enabling reliable cross-group analytics and improving overall master data quality (through the Master-Data Consolidation and Master-Data Harmonization scenarios), companies could want to:
- Seek support for central, corporate-defined standards for data creation, approval and maintenance
- Ensure defined data ownership and responsibilities in heterogeneous environments to substantially improve master data quality
SAP NetWeaver MDM enables centralized maintenance and storage of globally relevant master data information and allows subsequent distribution to client systems. It differs from master-data harmonization in that master data is created centrally using the MDM rich clients or SAP NetWeaver Portal.
With SAP NetWeaver MDM, a central comprehensive repository can be created with enriched content that can be used as the single source of truth for all enterprise master data on an inter and intra-enterprise scale.
The main process flow in the central master-data management IT scenario is as follows:
*) Also possible using SAP NetWeaver Portal (iViews)
**) Can be used in addition to MDM Syndicator/Syndicator Batch
In summary, central master-data management provides a single source of record by creating/updating master data centrally on MDM, supported by workflow-controlled approvals and periodic distribution to client systems.
SAP NetWeaver MDM provides the following benefits:
- Support implementation of company-wide quality standards and data ownership
- Ensure central control of master data as soon as the data is created
- Enable federated data maintenance processes by management and synchronization of globally relevant master data information and local completion in client systems
Hope this helps you to see master data management from a scenario and process perspective.