- Build Aggregates
- Use Olap Cache to accelerate response for similar queries by caching similar results and reading from cache instead of reading from DB
- Use Reporting Agent or Information Broadcasting to run popular queries in background during off hours and push summary views of updated data to users via email.
So does BI Accelerator replace them??? Obviously answer to this question is No. One can decide on whether to use aggregates or BI accelerator depending on different situations but Cache and Information Broadcasting are any how available. The figure shows the order in which BI uses the listed repositories during execution of query. With increasing data volumes along with increase in no of users, we have some constraints on no of aggregates to be created for all possible queries. Thus, typical strategy is to build somewhat general aggregates that more queries can utilize, but the performance benefit per query is less significant. Hence users complain about unpredictable time for query execution. Fundamentally they need stable transparent process and predictable repose time as obtained from search engine like Google , where they do not have to worry if aggregates are available or not. Although SAP has a search engine named TREX, it is only meant for searching non structured Text data. Therefore, can an engine initially conceived for text search be used to Implement fast search for structured data in tables??? Yes!!! SAP adapted its TREX search engine to implement a capability for BI Accelerator. Subsequently can we start using the normal TREX installation as BI Accelerator? Currently Answer is No. BI Accelerator and TREX are two different installations and hence BI Accelerator cannot be used for standard KMC functionality and vice versa. But note that technically there is a lot of commonality between TREX-BI Accelerator roles. Finally to summarize BI accelerator will be a box, may be standalone or could also fit into an existing customer rack which once plugged will surely result in faster response. Some more documented benefits of BI accelerator are listed below,
- Very fast query response time, with improvements in Performance by factor 10 – 100 in terms of DB time.
- Stable Query response time, due to freedom from DB optimizer and aggregates
- Low maintenance, due to again no aggregate maintenance and minimized roll-up /change run
- High scalability, planned support of new hardware paradigms like grid / adaptive computing
- Increased end-user satisfaction / extended BI reach
- Significant TCO reduction.