Debugging Mobile Infrastructure Applications
This is my first weblog at SDN so let me introduce myself. I am working with HCL Technologies in India and have been in different Mobile areas for quite a long time. Currently, I am into SAP NetWeaver Mobile Infrastructure and We at HCL understand that SAP NetWeaver is a high potential area and is the future for building next generation ERP applications.
My intention is to contribute in leaps and bounds to SDN. As part of my first Weblog, I intent to describe something about debugging Mobile Infrastructure applications. A proper design and debugging plan is, what is required for a bug-free Mobile Application. If we look at Mobile application development in other technologies, memory management has been one of the main worries for developers. SAP NetWeaver Mobile Infrastructure has been designed in such a way that Memory Management to an extent has been taken care by the Mobile Engine itself but the bugs do come from time to time because of poor memory management in the application itself.
Coming to debugging, well if debugging is defined as the art of taking bugs out of the program, programming may be putting them in. Depending upon application and technology requirements proper design and debug strategies have to be in place. More importantly, coding guidelines should be outlined taking in view the mobile device,SAP NetWeaver MI and the application to be developed This will leave minimal room for bugs to be left hidden and get carried forward in the future releases. This will also make sure that bugs don’t come as surprises in future.
A proper approach for coding and debugging is required. For an application the following should be in place:
– Coding Guidelines
– A standard Logging Framework
– Exception Handling
– Information capture and a fault-prevention mechanism
For debugging the following steps could be performed:
– Planning the debugging cycle
– Code Back Up
– Finding the Errors
– Fixing Errors
– Looking for bugs of similar nature
– Documenting the whole process
Mobile Applications require special attention as they span over multiple tiers: MI Client, MI Server and Backend. Also in Mobile Applications most of the errors occur because of memory bursts thus its important to have a proper memory management. The various aspects of debugging will be covered in this series of weblog with an introduction to design strategies, which will in turn come in detail in the next series of Design Strategies for Mobile Infrastructure Applications
In my subsequent weblogs I will cover the details for debugging in MI Client, MI Server and the Backend with the following topics:
1) Designing bug free MI Applications.
2) Debug strategies for MI Applications.
3) Using Logging and Exception handling in MI.
4) Using NWDS for debugging MI client code.
5) Tracing on SAP MI Client Component.
6) SAP MI in the Computing Center Management System (CCMS).
7) Tracing MI Sync and SAP MI Web Console on SAP Web AS.
8) Tracing Smart-Synchronization on SAP Web AS(Work List Monitoring).
9) Configuring MI Server Components For Debugging.
10) Using the Log tool.
11) Using Alert Management System for debugging.
12) Debugging BAPI Wrappers and BAPIs.